Finger Lakes Guys...Hello.

Mercury Outboard general discussion
mercaholic

Finger Lakes Guys...Hello.

Post by mercaholic »

Stan , Toby, do you guys know of this guy Jim?

" I got back from Naples New York last night.... I have a Chris-Craft Commander that I picked up from Jim Hawver while I was up there! he is a super cool down to earth guy, he's a member of the group, and he has unbelievable stuff in his barn up there around Keuka lake! just an absolutely beautiful engine in my opinion! once I get the time, "

John
CANADA
KD4, Mk5, Mk6, Mk15, Mk20, Mk25, Mk28, Mk30, KE7, KF7, KG7, KG4, KH7, Merc 200, Merc 250, Merc 300, Merc 500, KG4Q, KG4H, KG7Q, KG7H, Mk20H
Toby Hall

Re: Finger Lakes Guys...Hello.

Post by Toby Hall »

I know Jim very well. Great friend, great guy and he's got stuff! Jim was the second owner of my Raveau. I'm #4. 8-)
IMG_4499.jpg
The stuff you can't see - That's what's important.
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

I would love to see close up pictures of steering linkage. How is routed trough the deck and the steering bracket details - is it home made ??
Very cool boat !!
Wojo,
KD4, Mark 35AE
Toby Hall

Post by Toby Hall »

Not home made! Google Raveau boats. 8-)
IMG_3433 2.jpeg
ctpdsr

Post by ctpdsr »

Beautiful photo. Note the Kainer wheel/hub is the same as Switzer installed on Dad's 1952 Bullet. The green throttle is OEM Kaminc. This same throttle was shipped with Dad's 1953 MK40. He replaced it with an extremely well made Finson model. Bare steel cables...

Is this a replica hull? The steering setup would have been slightly different in the day. The steering bar would not need to be "stepped". A flat bar with steel cables exiting the through deck on each side through a Keller "flying saucer" aluminum trim piece.

Chuck
https://www.portagebaysystems.com/uploa ... 6879_4.jpg

IMG_3310 (2).jpg
IMG_2475.jpg
Toby Hall

Post by Toby Hall »

ctpdsr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:47 pm Beautiful photo. Note the Kainer wheel/hub is the same as Switzer installed on Dad's 1952 Bullet. The green throttle is OEM Kaminc. This same throttle was shipped with Dad's 1953 MK40. He replaced it with an extremely well made Finson model. Bare steel cables...

Is this a replica hull? The steering setup would have been slightly different in the day. The steering bar would not need to be "stepped". A flat bar with steel cables exiting the through deck on each side through a Keller "flying saucer" aluminum trim piece.

Chuck
https://www.portagebaysystems.com/uploa ... 6879_4.jpg

IMG_3310 (2).jpgIMG_2475.jpg
Hi Chuck!
Nope it's the real deal, not a replica. It was originally owned and raced in the Winnebagoland marathon by Jim Komrowski, from 1957 -1961.
Here is a picture of her when Mr Hawver first brought her here from Wisconsin, after Mr Komrowski sold it to him.. She still has the original Kaminc squeeze throttle. Komrowski ran a Switzer in the 56 race, but the hull was damaged in the rough conditions that year. He bought the Raveau and a Mercury guy, who's name I can't recall, helped him set up the new 55H and throttle on the new Raveau. I'm speculating the he chose a Raveau because it's a stronger hull than the lighter, faster Switzers! Ron Leitha told me the story about the Merc factory guy who helped set up the new boat!
Bubba Cartwright! Yess!! Pretty sure that was his name! 8-)
Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 4.22.41 PM.png
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

Toby, I meant - steering bracket on the motor not the boat itself.

Chuck, I think the Fairlead for steering line could the ticket for routing steering line trough the deck. Emailed the company with my questions - and they are in Seattle icon_thumbup.gif Thank you !
Wojo,
KD4, Mark 35AE
chuckw

Post by chuckw »

Hello; I will be at Honeoye for a week from 7/13. Bringing race boats.
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG
ctpdsr

Post by ctpdsr »

Toby,

That is a beautiful hull! I agree, the Switzers were/are crazy fast and ride high in the water on a shingle bottom. The Raveau was a real beauty and well made. Both hulls were better suited for Marathon style racing vs. short course.

SMALL WORLD:

My 1960 Stippich was built by Carl Stippich and raced by his sons Keith & Gary. It was revolutionary in the day given the full "round chine" design that could out perform the "flat chine" designs of the day on an APBA Circle Course. Jim Komorowski and his son Kevin made a copy of this hull and Kevin was very successful on the Wisconsin circuit. My 1960 12' Runabout won 5 C-Stock National Championships between 1960-1965 and 1 in D-Stock during that era. D Runabout had to measure 13' long in those days, so Carl added a temporary "extension" to my 12' boat and his older son Keith won. My guess is some folks were not happy....The APBA later changed the rules to allow 12' hulls in both C & D classes. The weight limit in D was about 75lbs higher.

This photo was taken in Beloit Wisconsin in the mid1980's. The 1960 Stippich was still very competitive on local courses. By then, the side-fin flat turning hulls started to dominate long courses like Wakefield, MI. Note the motor. This was the first Merc 44XS Prototype. Stock service M500 powerhead on a 35SS tower & foot. I ran as "exhibition only" ie no points or prize $$. We learned a lot.

Chuck
IMG_1244 (1) (1).jpg