Mercury Cowl Emblems

Post photos, videos, documents, old ads, etc., that are related
DaytonaJohn

Mercury Cowl Emblems

Post by DaytonaJohn »

After I received my new emblem that I bought from Bob Shapton, I wrote Charlie Strang a letter about my emblem.

I wrote:

I'm writing to ask if you have any comments about the Mercury plastic emblems. Were you involved with any of the engineering or sub-contractor oversight with the emblem creation ? I believe they appeared first in the 1956 models although I might be off by a year.

The emblems look complicated to make. The outside is clear plastic yet there are shiny letters and light or black background plus there's a rubber -like backing.

Restoring outboards has led to discussions how to successfully remove an emblem from a motor to reuse it. Removal is nearly impossible without damaging the emblem. The glue Mercury used to attach the emblem with must have been the world's first SUPERGLUE EPOXY. I have no idea what it is but it's indestructible. That glue is not hard after 50 years, but is like a hard rubber that is slightly pliable. You can stick a pick in it.

Anyway we're back in business now that we have emblems ! I'm sure there's got to be a story about them and that pesky glue.

Happy New Year,

John Timmins

Strang wrote:

Dear John:
I well remember the plastic cowl emblems. They were made for us by a vendor and shipped to us ready to be glued onto the engines to add a bit more class than sanded painted die castings.
If I recall correctly, the process was brought to our attention and the specific designs were created by Dick Wiken.
Dick was a sculptor from Milwaukee who did most of the styling on the Mercurys at our engineering plant in Oshkosh --- with lots of suggestions and kibitzing from Carl, me and anyone else who happened to be around!
I don't recall the name of the outfit that produced the emblems or it's location.
I do recall that some of the guys had fun with the emblems, making belt-buckle, tie-pins and similar ornaments out of them!
Happy New Year,
Chas S.
John Timmins, Ormond -by-the-Sea, Florida. Retired licensed marine engineer from steamship companys under contract with the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association, a union of merchant marine engineers since 1876. Ship your cargo on U.S. flag ships !
LarryR

Re: Mercury Cowl Emblems

Post by LarryR »

to remove the emblems, work a piece of thin safety wire (or the wire that is used to remove car windows) under the edge of the emblem.
With the faceplate in a vise betwixt 2 pieces of wood, heat the back with propane torch.
The trick is to use patience and not to try to work the wire through the glue until it is all heated - if you start to pull on the wire when the embnlem first loosens up you will shear through the rubber part of the emblem - but not enough to start to discolor the plastic.
I tired it first on a less than perfect emblem to get the feel for doing it properly. Here's one of Bob's latest replicas.
Mark35ARestored-5.jpg
little merc shop, Londonderry, NH; 1946 thru 1961 merc restoration :)
DaytonaJohn

Post by DaytonaJohn »

Here is a little bit more about the emblem making from Bob Shapton. I asked him for permission before posting these:

Hello guys.
The plastic emblems were made by the Auld Company in Columbus Ohio. They are still in business today, known now as Auld technologies.
This is my second run of emblems, as the first run was a huge hit.
I was lucky enough to obtain an un-decorated emblem (before vacuum metalizing and painting) and it was used as a digital sample. The original was scanned and a new tool was cut, as the original tool was destroyed long ago. In fact I contacted both Mercury and Auld, looking for the original tool and both believed it was in the Gulf of Mexico.
The new tool is an exact copy of the original part where by new parts are made. The company that is currently making these reproductions purchased the old machines from the Auld company to reproduce old car emblems which was the same technology. So the parts / technique have come full circle to help us Mercury collectors keep the faith.
From what I understand, the emblems were first used in 1957 to replace the 1956 aluminum faceplate emblem, probably to enhance model year change. This corresponds with the change of decal design to the "wave style" in 1957. These were mostly black background emblems. In 1958 they were silver background /light gold and red and in 1960 a white version was used. The interesting variant was the silver w/ chrome and blue lettering that found their way onto many sunset orange and sand tan engines of various sizes.
Another interesting detail is that there were 2 emblem designs very subtly different, mostly within the lettering size within the oval.
I met Mr Strang years ago at a AOMCI event in Fond Du Lac. He had told me how happy Carl would have been to see so many of his old motors all shiny and new again.
Cheers!
Bob Shapton

Sure, you have my permission. Maybe what I can do is get some pictures of them decorating the emblems. They are still working on the first batch of 500. The plastic is molded in Tennessee and shipped here. I've asked for pictures before and they are a bit guarded in how they are made but with a little persuasion I think it would happen. I'll also shoot the two designs side by side so they can be seen.
Talk soon, Bob

Thank you Bob. May you win a lottery today ! icon_thumbup.gif icon_clap.gif
John Timmins, Ormond -by-the-Sea, Florida. Retired licensed marine engineer from steamship companys under contract with the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association, a union of merchant marine engineers since 1876. Ship your cargo on U.S. flag ships !
LarryR

Post by LarryR »

A couple of points which I believe to be true:
The black emblems were introduced in 1957 icon_thumbup.gif , but found their way into some early 1958 serial number engines, especially on mark25 and 30s.
Most 1958 engines, and ALL mark28/58/78 had the gray emblems icon_thumbup.gif
All 1959 icon_thumbup.gif and (I think) all 1960 engines continued with the gray emblems.
The white emblems were introduced in 1961, along with the 1/4-turn front cowl fastener.
It's possible some late 1960 engines had white, but I have never seen one.
dave bernard

Post by dave bernard »

mark 28 NEVER had one. it was a BIG emblem that fit the whole front of the motor one peice.
Inlinelover

Post by Inlinelover »

just like this one..
Attachments
cowl front.JPG
mercules

Post by mercules »

I'm sure that after the oval emblems they went to a plastic rectangle like this
rect-logo.jpg
then just a sticker.
Let's fix it now - before we launch the boat.
LarryR

Post by LarryR »

Right you are about the mark28 emblem, inkinelover, but the oval within the larger insert is gray to match its stable mates. I've got a NOS one of those icon_thumbup.gif that I've never gotten around to installing in my mark28. :oops:
DaytonaJohn

Post by DaytonaJohn »

I guess I haven't seen the plastic rectangle emblems before. What models had those and what years ?
Fastjeff

Post by Fastjeff »

Wouldn't mind getting one of these for my triple.

Jeff
Words spoken in two stroke heaven: There's no fuel like an oiled fuel.
mercules

Post by mercules »

I can remember looking at one on the front of a 1969 1250 for many summers. I'll find one in the spring.
mercules

Post by mercules »

LarryR wrote:Right you are about the mark28 emblem, inkinelover, but the oval within the larger insert is gray to match its stable mates. I've got a NOS one of those icon_thumbup.gif  that I've never gotten around to installing in my mark28. :oops:
I'd sure like to copy that for wall plaqes or replacements I know a place that sells casting resins.
DaytonaJohn

Post by DaytonaJohn »

The president of my AOMCI chapter sent me this picture showing 2 of the rectangular emblems. The left is from a 1968 or '69 Merc 100 and the other is from a 1967 110 SS.
Attachments
Mercury emblem -rectangular.jpg
mercules

Post by mercules »

I knew it. I think those are my personal favorites 'cause of their size and shape.
LarryR

Post by LarryR »

Well, there is no accountin' for taste. :shock:
These are on stamped aluminum, not the nice chromed stainless that god and Elmer intended.
This is the McCoy.
twin800s on Kennebec small.jpg
mercules

Post by mercules »

I have a Merc 700 DR and I'm sure the front cowl is anodized aluminum, anyway I meant the plastic emblem. Nice looking rig there (month of May calendar shot).
Michael

Post by Michael »

DaytonaJohn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:46 am After I received my new emblem that I bought from Bob Shapton, I wrote Charlie Strang a letter about my emblem.

I wrote:

I'm writing to ask if you have any comments about the Mercury plastic emblems. Were you involved with any of the engineering or sub-contractor oversight with the emblem creation ? I believe they appeared first in the 1956 models although I might be off by a year.

The emblems look complicated to make. The outside is clear plastic yet there are shiny letters and light or black background plus there's a rubber -like backing.

Restoring outboards has led to discussions how to successfully remove an emblem from a motor to reuse it. Removal is nearly impossible without damaging the emblem. The glue Mercury used to attach the emblem with must have been the world's first SUPERGLUE EPOXY. I have no idea what it is but it's indestructible. That glue is not hard after 50 years, but is like a hard rubber that is slightly pliable. You can stick a pick in it.

Anyway we're back in business now that we have emblems ! I'm sure there's got to be a story about them and that pesky glue.

Happy New Year,

John Timmins

Strang wrote:

Dear John:
I well remember the plastic cowl emblems. They were made for us by a vendor and shipped to us ready to be glued onto the engines to add a bit more class than sanded painted die castings.
If I recall correctly, the process was brought to our attention and the specific designs were created by Dick Wiken.
Dick was a sculptor from Milwaukee who did most of the styling on the Mercurys at our engineering plant in Oshkosh --- with lots of suggestions and kibitzing from Carl, me and anyone else who happened to be around!
I don't recall the name of the outfit that produced the emblems or it's location.
I do recall that some of the guys had fun with the emblems, making belt-buckle, tie-pins and similar ornaments out of them!
Happy New Year,
Chas S.
I remembered your post John and the letter you included from Charlie Strang when I saw this buckle for sale on ebay .....very cool to be able to see one [wrench.gif]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195548044525?h ... R_ijosKyYQ

Tom Brockmeyer

Post by Tom Brockmeyer »

A neat collectible that I obtained last year is a photo of the actual tooling die used to make these emblems. It was the only item the seller had related to emblems, outboards, or mechanical, so it must have changed hands a couple times prior to being offered for sale on ebay.

I feel like this should be in Bob Shapton's collection so I have made a few high quality copies for myself and will be gifting the original to Bob in the near future.

Sorry for the flash reflection in the first picture, but if you click on the pic you can see the incredible detail of the die.

Tom
Attachments
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser, Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
58woody

Post by 58woody »

Very cool, my over seas supplier is quoting new repop emblems. We all need them!
Mark 6, 1956 Mark 55 & 55E, 1959 Mark 55A, 1958 Mark 58, 1960 Merc 300, 1961 Merc 500, 1961 Merc 700, 1964 Merc 1000 Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Member of the AOMCI Upper Canada Chapter http://uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
Tom Brockmeyer

Post by Tom Brockmeyer »

58woody wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:34 pmVery cool, my over seas supplier is quoting new repop emblems. We all need them!
How about approaching Bob Shapton for an encore run of the 'originals'...? Maybe if we all order a few, the volume will make the price decent for all and the "extras" would be available for years to come.
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser, Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
58woody

Post by 58woody »

I have reached out many times recently and he does not answer or return calls. To me at least.
Mark 6, 1956 Mark 55 & 55E, 1959 Mark 55A, 1958 Mark 58, 1960 Merc 300, 1961 Merc 500, 1961 Merc 700, 1964 Merc 1000 Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Member of the AOMCI Upper Canada Chapter http://uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
58woody

Post by 58woody »

These are available now through myself.
Attachments
IMG_5359.jpeg
IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5363.jpeg