Can this pile of greasy junk be saved?

Show & Tell time! Photos, comments, stories, etc

Re: Can this pile of greasy junk be saved?

Postby diamondt201 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:09 am

Bill,
Let me know how the hose works out. I sure like to color scheme green with red, pretty cool. Doug Brooke
diamondt201

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby mtechmarine » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Finally finished, running restoration. Took me a lot of work to save this one.

SAM_2989.JPG

SAM_2988.JPG

Grandson took a video of the startup.

http://youtu.be/U2oiI59w9j4

This, the next project, a Duratech S-14 will have the KG-9 as power source. Going to build a center deck and add steering.

DURATECH_DAY1.jpg

Enjoy!  :mrgreen:  :D
mtechmarine

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby daveswaves » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Great JOB Bill should run nice on that 14 footer.
, 71 merc 7.5,75 merc 1500 custom,mark5,mark10a,67 merc1100ss
Uccaomci.com
daveswaves
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby mtechmarine » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Running on the river in September. This thing runs like a watch, starts on the 2nd pull cold and 1st pull hot.

WithKG9_2016.jpg
mtechmarine

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby daveswaves » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Nice job Bill, thats the way a boat should run. icon_thumbup.gif
, 71 merc 7.5,75 merc 1500 custom,mark5,mark10a,67 merc1100ss
Uccaomci.com
daveswaves
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby ctpdsr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Question.

Looks like you upgraded to newer style rods vs. the older 3-hole versions. When I did this on a MK50 build years ago, I found I needed to use the original rod nut & bolt for clearance reasons. Did you have similar issues here? I have a KG-9 in a box and one of the things that scares me is the primitive mag internals. You really put some serious work in there. Wow.

Also, were you able to source a new seal and/or bearing for the end of the mag drive housing that is cast into the crankcase cover? Looks like the seal on mine was shot and the grease from the gear box oozzed on top of the mag body...

Chuck
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby mercules » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:26 pm

Answer to your question; YES! it can and it was. Good job with great results!
Let's fix it now - before we launch the boat.
mercules

Postby mtechmarine » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:41 pm

ctpdsr wrote:Question.

Looks like you upgraded to newer style rods vs. the older 3-hole versions. When I did this on a MK50 build years ago, I found I needed to use the original rod nut & bolt for clearance reasons. Did you have similar issues here? I have a KG-9 in a box and one of the things that scares me is the primitive mag internals. You really put some serious work in there. Wow.

Also, were you able to source a new seal and/or bearing for the end of the mag drive housing that is cast into the crankcase cover? Looks like the seal on mine was shot and the grease from the gear box oozzed on top of the mag body...

Chuck

I didn't have any clearance problems on this motor except for a small area in the block on the edge of the area near the bore on the exhaust side where rods pass by, i used a rotary ball file and removed about a scoche of the aluminum there. Didn't have to alter the bolts. HOWEVER, on my prehistoric KF-9 this area is even tighter and on that one I not only clearanced the block on both sides but beveled the heads of the rod bolts as well. KG-9 and MK40 rods have more primitive rod bolts with taller hex heads, they were beveled from Mercury. I can't recall fully but I'm pretty sure the rods in old # 22 were ALLEN HEAD like a KE-7! IMHO, the rods with holes weak point is the cut for the bolt

As for the magneto issues, the needle bearing in the magneto end of the mag tower is a GB1012, the seal is a # 6151, there's a picture of all the boxes in the greasy junk thread concurrent with this one. Also a table in white papers with prices and sources I used. Error on my part, I started with a B912 and had to centerless grind it on a dowel until it fit! Order the GB = "Ground Bearing".

Best leave the bearing races in the mag and frame cap, they are installed with PAPER SHIMS! I dug thru a friends TOTE BIN full of FM stuff and none of it matched. I made new cork seals out of gasket sheet to replace the totally deteriorated originals.
mtechmarine

Postby ctpdsr » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks!

I vaguely remember seeing a service bulletin from Mercury with regard to upgrading older style rods and reserving the old bolts, but can't remember where.

Chuck
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby mercules » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:22 am

Here's a bulletin for KF9 owners-
KF-9-magneto.jpg
Let's fix it now - before we launch the boat.
mercules

Previous

Return to Current Projects