A new project

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

A new project

Postby AU52N » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:19 pm

We just started a new project for the 55H guys.  We have a friend in the west that has machined a few 55H gear cases from a billet.  They are done really good.  We have all of the guts including a set of NOS gears that we have been saving for years just for a special project like this.  I have test fit everything and find it a pleasure to work with all NOS parts. Doug Kay has already assembled one but I do not know if his customer has run the unit yet.  

I disassembled the gear case so I could smooth out some of the machine marks but I did not want to polish the unit.

I will keep everyone informed as how the project finishes off.

David

IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3705.JPG
Attachments
IMG_3707.JPG
AU52N

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: A new project

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:34 pm

NICE
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:24 pm

I for one, am 100% in support of this effort.  I just had Steve Roskowski assemble what was believed to be the very last brand new 44XS empty gear housing for me and I used 100% NOS and new reproduction parts on it.  He mentioned the same thing, that it was really nice to work with all new parts.

On a side note, I was wondering if a new 55H gearcase could be machined to accept Yamato 302 (or other) gears & bearings and still run a rubber impeller waterpump, but still have the ease of service offered by the Yamato design.  Just "something" not so expensive and not so difficult to maintain for anyone who just runs 'lake racer' boats.

This is pretty big news, so I hope it's not crazy expensive or just a one-time deal.   Thanks VERY MUCH for sharing the pictures and info!

Tom
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby AU52N » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Tom I do not know what crazy expensive is because every thing is relative to the time and material put into a project.  My estimate would put the cost in the $2000 to $2500 range.  Since we make many of the parts already we choose to do the first one with all new or repro parts.  If someone is just needing a gear case and has all of the other parts the cost will considerable less.  An example of what is happen is the last time I ordered 6005 bearing for the prop shaft the cost was $9.84 and Friday I order some more and the cost is now $18.94, nearly double in 6 months.  If you could go to Mercury to purchase a new 55H gear case I would expect the price to be in the $2500 to $3000 range.
AU52N

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: Another new project

Postby AU52N » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Besides the 55H gear case we are pricing out the manufacturing of Quicksilver outside steering bars.  But in stead of chromed steel we looking at making them out of stainless steel.  Not sure of any pricing yet but a good portion will be material cost. They will be water jet cut.

David
AU52N

Postby Yellowjacket » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:04 pm

I don't know what they made those old steering bars out of.   The problem with most common stainless steels (like 304) is that they aren't very strong.  The yield strength of 304 is in the high 30's to 42ksi.  That's better than aluminum, but not all that much (6061 T6 yield is 35ksi) and you wouldn't dream of making that part out of aluminum.  Lower carbon steels (like 1018) have a yield of 54 ksi, so they're a good bit stronger.  Of course you could use something like 4130 and even in the normalized condition it's over 63ksi and if you temper it, you can get over 100ksi with reasonable ductility.  A heat treatable stainless (like 410) when heat treated is plenty strong, but there's a batch cost to heat treat them.  So it comes down to the cost of heat treating vs the cost of chrome plating.  

If the bar isn't strong enough they will bend in use and the steering cables will get loose.   The originals aren't that strong, I've seen them bend so they aren't that strong in the first place.  If you know what the originals were made of and matched that strength that would be fine of course, but who knows what they made them out of and what the heat treat was.  Gotta be careful here, if one breaks someone could get seriously hurt or worse.
Yellowjacket

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby outboard315 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:50 pm

The easy way out of strength issues is just go up one size in material thickness. But I'm sure David has either already experimented with stainless or will do the proper testing prior to selling.

David, are the new cases thicker in the weak points or are are they to exact factory specs.
Brandon Cocola
Upstate NY
Mark 20, Mark 30H, WA25E, KG7H
14' Texas Maid, 12' Sea King, 12' Sea Nymph
outboard315

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Locomotion » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:23 pm

That is beautiful part but it makes me wonder why no one is casting a replacement housing, it would be about as fast to make a pattern as it is to machine a part from billet  [violin.gif]
Ray
East Tennessee Born & Raised  
KG7H Clone
Mark 58
Locomotion

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Locomotion wrote:That is beautiful part but it makes me wonder why no one is casting a replacement housing, it would be about as fast to make a pattern as it is to machine a part from billet  [violin.gif]

Agree for short run, but patterns wear out and casting molten aluminum (metal in general) is labor intensive and has lots of parameters that can affect quality, then you still have to machine it.  G-Code for a CNC machine "never wears out" and the higher tech equipment can run 24hrs a day in the dark on 100% clean (perfect) raw material...  I'm hoping to see at least 100 of the D and 200 of the C/25XS gearcases come out of this venture!   [wrench.gif]  [drinkingcheers.gif]
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby AU52N » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:06 pm

We did not initiate the gear case project, that was done by the fellows on the west coast river racing.  We do make a lot of the parts needed to build a gear case.  From what I know the case is a direct copy of a standard 55H case.  What I wanted to do was make sure every thing fit together correctly and it appears it does.  Doug Kay also assembled one for one of the racers and he told me there was only one dimension that was 0.001 off.  I did have to do some metal work to erase the machine marks but otherwise I would say they did an excellent job.
David
AU52N

Re:55H Gear Case

Postby AU52N » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:50 pm

We have been able to determine a price on the completed D 55H billet gear case we recently assembled, this is the second one that I know of.  We are working to obtain additional cases to build new gear cases, sell kits with the parts needed for you to assemble the gearcase and empty gear cases.  The cost of the one completed gear case as shown above and with additional pictures here is $2,350.00 plus $35 insured shipping to US addresses.  We realized this is a huge number for someone restoring a Mark 55H for either display or as a Lake Racer but to someone that is currently racing this gear foot either as a Cal-Or river racer or has one under a stick tower in MoD racing this could be the only way to go.

IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG
AU52N

Re: Re:55H Gear Case

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:05 pm

AU52N wrote: to someone that is currently racing this gear foot either as a Cal-Or river racer or has one under a stick tower in MoD racing this could be the only way to go.

icon_thumbup.gif Agreed...... Its already a struggling sport, the hobby cant die over parts shortages

west coast style racing,  we hit  a lot of rocks out here, I killed a 55H gearcase 2 years ago when a rock jumped out in front of me   :?:
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Impressive work!
Peter
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby 58woody » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:02 am

Awesome work!  [drinkingcheers.gif]
Mark 6, 1956 Mark 55 & 55E, 1959 Mark 55A, 1958 Mark 58, 1960 Merc 300, 1961 Merc 500, 1961 Merc 700, 1964 Merc 1000 Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Member of the AOMCI Upper Canada Chapter http://uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
58woody
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"