Taking Ethanol Out of Gas

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Taking Ethanol Out of Gas

Postby OldMerc500 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:27 pm

I had an interesting discussion this morning with a gentlemen that says he takes the ethanol out of gas for his lawn equipment by adding one cup of water to gasoline ( with 10 percent ethanol). (I guess he shakes it up).  He has a one gallon container that he has the gas in and after adding the water, he turns it over so later he can drain the water/ethanol mixture that settles out at the bottom.  He has setup this container with a valve for ease of draining the mixture.

Has anyone heard of doing this?
Kevin
65 Merc500 (wished I still had)
69 Merc40
OldMerc500

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Re: Taking Ethanol Out of Gas

Postby creekrunner » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:36 pm

There's actually a you tube out there showing a guy put 5 gallons of E gas in a glass carboy container...added two quarts of water....shook it up and let it settle.
You could see the alcohol/water mix and settle to the bottom. He the siphoned the gas off the top ....leaving 3 quarts of the bad mix behind.........
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg.....sometimes you win...sometimes you learn
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby outboard315 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Or there is a website that shows the closest gas station to you with non ethanol gas at the pump. Or most marinas have non ethanol.
Brandon Cocola
Upstate NY
Mark 20, Mark 30H, WA25E, KG7H, KG4
14' Texas Maid, 12' Sea King, 12' Sea Nymph
outboard315

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby OldMerc500 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 pm

I agree the station with non-ethanol would be best.
Kevin
69 Merc40
OldMerc500

Postby jesse c » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 am

puregas.org is website and in the pocono area of Pa there are Wawa (local chain) market/gas stations that have non ethenol pumps but these are in areas with lots of lakes and boaters passing thru the area
jesse c

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby creekrunner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 am

,,,not disputing the need for E-free gas ......but the quality and octane ratings in my area (central Vermont) is questionable  in my book. The  shelf or storage life, either straight or mixed ( with oil) seems to be less. I have no idea as to who the mfg. is for the offerings in my area as it is delivered by unmarked bulk carriers. I had a can of mix  from last season that I used to burn some brush. It was blue/green when i mixed it.......now it's a faded grey in color......I think kerosene would have had the same "potentcy. Makes me wonder and yearn for the old Amoco/American  "white gas".......
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
creekrunner

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Yellowjacket » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 am

The old Amoco/American lead free premium was good chit...  That was really the first unleaded fuel and it burned a lot cleaner than anything else.  Not quite as high an octane as Sunoco 260 but plugs lasted a lot longer on it than on Sunoco..

I built a BMW 2 liter motor back in about 1974 that had 13:1 compression a 290 cam and a different cylinder head with bigger valves and ports.  It made almost 200 hp, and would run on Amoco but I'd get some knock at big throttle and mid range rpm's, where the 260 would never knock at those conditions.   Compared to the junk today, those were really great fuels...

I don't use ethanol fuels in any of my outboards or lawn equipment.  I buy pure gas for everything and for 2 strokes I still have a couple of gallons of Rejuvenate left.  That oil has a fuel stabilizer in it and supposedly it will preserve ethanol laced fuels.  It does keep good gas (with no ethanol in it) for a half a year or so.

One thing that is good about AVGAS is that it keeps for a long time.  If the tank is sealed and full it will last about 2 years (although it's only guaranteed for one year).  If it's cold it'll last longer than that.  So long as it doesn't get moisture in it it'll last a long time.  I try to make sure I use up any ethanol laced fuels in two to three months.  For the winter here I run the Corvette almost dry, and then fill it with good gas and a fuel stabilizer and it lasts the winter with no issues.  Been doing that for the last 15 years and I've never had a fuel issue.
Yellowjacket

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby OldMerc500 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:21 am

I had forgot to mention that the discussion of removing the ethanol he used highest octane.  I don't know off hand how the octane is affected by removing the ethanol.
Kevin
69 Merc40
OldMerc500

Postby daveswaves » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Kevin, all things being equal the ethanol is used to raise the octane.  When removed you have lower octane.
, 71 merc 7.5,75 merc 1500 custom,mark5,mark10a,67 merc1100ss
Uccaomci.com
daveswaves
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby outboard315 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 pm

You can add race gas additive to bring the octane back up. I think you would need to know what your ethanol free science experiment has for octane in order to know how much additive to put in to make the octane you want.

http://race-gas.com it can be found at Wal-Mart or any of your auto parts stores.

I heard something about moth balls or some chemical but I don't remember the details. I got a D in chemistry so I know better to not mess with this stuff.
Brandon Cocola
Upstate NY
Mark 20, Mark 30H, WA25E, KG7H, KG4
14' Texas Maid, 12' Sea King, 12' Sea Nymph
outboard315

Postby zul8tr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 pm

daveswaves wrote:Kevin, all things being equal the ethanol is used to raise the octane.  When removed you have lower octane.

That's right with E free they use other more expensive additives to increase octane above base#. Kevin, better to go to a E free station if near you rather than fool with the chemistry to increase octane to what your need is after ethanol removal.
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
zul8tr

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm

I have real issue with fuel here in Oregon, and few years ago ethanol free gas was so expensive, and I had to drive 60 miles round trip to get fuel so it makes E free gas expensive for me and, living on the water with several boats in the water we burn a bunch of fuel and have fuel water issues all the time....my pickup dump truck and tractor sit too long and also has suffered from E15 and water absorption, when it was first forced on us in Oregon

I started testing the affects of E15  with a scientific approach, using 3 MK 55 motors all rebuilt at the same time  2 motors running on E15 one running on E free gas, I have been doing compression and leak down tests each season, frankly  once rubber seals are upgraded to Nitrile rubber/buna rubber Im not seeing much difference in using E15 other then the obvious water attracting issues the plague E15

I then started looking into testing a gasahol extractor  and did some testing  to make E FREE gas and now I use  45 gallon drums for storage and separation  and my equipment is a little more sophisticated now ( I am coming to the conclusion it may not even be necessary to dry the fuel thru the sieve material)   and now my E15 water issue have been solved , this sure isnt for everyone, when E free gas is readily available,  its not really a lot of work just pump the fuel into the separator then drain it off a couple days later, its way less time consuming and cheaper than the drive I used to make for Efree gas....for me its worth the effort

here is a video of the original experimenting
phpBB [video]
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby creekrunner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:06 pm

...I hear ya Michael........you at least know the mfg of the gas and octane when you buy.....I'm questioning the E-free gas offered in my area as it sold from convenience markets.....not from know sellers like Mobil/Exxon , Sunoco , etc. Sometimes it's listed as being 91 octane...and sometimes 90?  I believe the best option is to run all your small seasonal equipment dry before storage . Start with new fuel at the beginning of the season. Vehicles that get parked for the off season need "Startron" or similar.
Damn gasohol is a sponge when you live near the water with water separators being an absolute necessity........
creekrunner

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:37 am

I just start with fresh mix any old gas from last year gets dumped the truck or car. Burns fine with no issues even at 20:1 mix
Peter
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"