Win a Mercury Outboard Motor Stand & Free Membership

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Win a Mercury Outboard Motor Stand & Free Membership

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm

"Submit a Mercury Tutorial" for a new "How To Section" in the whitepapers, it can be written essay's,  photo tutorials accompanied by some written explanations, it can also be a video tutorial or any combination of all the above.

We stress we want to see factory approved or time tested approach's to our hobby, we want you to keep in mind this tutorial you submit is to be mainly for new members asking the same questions over and over so keep this in mind when choosing your subject and try to be  a instructive as possible like your talking to a complete beginner.

Pick your most comfortable subject matter, it will be your best tutorial, & be as thorough as possible, if you know carbs, or starters,  magnetos,  lower units, or re ringing a motor, rigging boat controls as long as it is Mercury Outboard Related, what ever you are comfortable instructing with a modicum of expertise...if your doing a video, make a cheat sheet to read from, it reduces boring uhmmmm's & ahhhh's

Most everyone has a cellphone with a video camera these days, duct tape a cellphone in a proper position and record while you work If you want to do a video
I will edit your raw video for those that need the help, cutting out the junk footage and sprucing up the presentation
you just need to upload your raw video to our JOMS youtube account, keep in mind if you want help with video editing                         SUBMIT EARLY       because if you all upload RAW videos the last min I will be inundated and you wont make the dealine

Again try to be as professional as you can, these how to Tutorials will become part of our Vintage Mercury History that we are archiving in our WhitePapers section, despite the contest, ALL tutorials will be considered for the "How To Section" also know you may get bumped from the mechanics hall of fame if someone submits a superior tutorial at a later date....... this is about preserving the best Mercury Outboard Knowledge we can for future hobbyist after our time.
I kind of see this as our responsibility so lets see some real participation guys, otherwise who else will? people dont diagnose issues or rebuild these days,  sadly they simply  replace parts from the parts dept till they fix the issue

This will be far more productive than our usual photo contests, With the talented Mercury mechanics we have here I know it will be very interesting and all of us will learn something....... so lets have some fun with this

MAX 2 entries per member, no previous whitepapers submission are eligible, we are looking for new additions
As always you will decide the winner by vote.
Submission Deadline December 24th Winner to be announced Jan 1st 2019

ALL PHOTOS MUST BE UPLOADED WITH YOUR POST...... NO LINKS TO PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES when those sites go down or you close the account your tutorial here become useless without the photos

Email or PM  me when your ready to submit your tutorial you will pointed where to post and it will remain private until all tutorials are posted for one simultaneous reveal of all contestants

First place wins:
Vintage Vollrath Mercury Outboard motor stand and 5 year free membership to JOMS...$200 value

volrath.png

Second place wins:
JOMS Tshirt & 5 year free membership to JOMS....$100 value

jomsT.png
jomsT.png (53.03 KiB) Viewed 689 times

Third place:
JOMS Tshirt....value...JOMS pride
:mrgreen:
joms.png
joms.png (35.5 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: Win a Mercury Outboard Motor Stand & Free Membership

Postby creekrunner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 pm

SLICK IDEA  :arrow:    everyone's a winner !
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm

A great idea. I'll come up with one or two submissions.
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  Mark 55, Mark 58A (4) Merc 200 FGS, Merc 350, Merc 500, Merc 40, Merc 60.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby creekrunner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 am

....   and may the Masters prevail.... :?:
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:33 am

Yes its On!    [wrench.gif]    I removed the poll to judge response and the response trend was positive enough already to consider this good to go

and from what I have seen on this board,  I imagine each one of us has mastered one aspect or another of this hobby. Im looking forward to this, I love to learn.  I personally like video tutorials

SO GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT ENTER  & I HOPE YOU ALL DO ENTER
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby milrat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:10 pm

cool idea   but what if we all do a  carb rebuild piece              should we post our tutorial subject  in here?
Im not so experienced in this     sure not a master sure wont win :mrgreen:  but I will do a 4cyl top cowl rewind, I didnt know how before I did one this week so I guess I cant be the only guy that is a beginner
milrat

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm

milrat wrote:cool idea  ...but I will do a 4cyl top cowl rewind, I didnt know how before I did one this week so I guess I cant be the only guy that is a beginner

That is a perfect subject...  Never seen it in a video before, either.   I can imagine this; Step 1. Clear bench and put on full face shielding helmet!

Usually, the first try results in the picture below!   icon_crazy.gif
Attachments
scar.jpg
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby milrat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Tom Brockmeyer wrote:
milrat wrote:cool idea  ...but I will do a 4cyl top cowl rewind, I didnt know how before I did one this week so I guess I cant be the only guy that is a beginner

That is a perfect subject...  Never seen it in a video before, either.   I can imagine this; Step 1. Clear bench and put on full face shielding helmet!

had I only thought about full face helmet before I learned how to do this :lol:
milrat

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Four Sons » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 am

I have to confess, I don’t have any technical knowledge about old Mercs... so I won’t be entering a video.  However, this sounds like a great idea from which we can all learn something. Thank you Michael for proposing the idea.  

I know it’s pretty basic by this forum’s standards, but I would appreciate seeing a start to finish impeller replacement for my Mark 55..but of course I’ll learn from anything posted.
Pat Corry
southeast corner of PA
'58 Mark 55, '56 Barbour Vacationer runabout
Four Sons

1 year of membership

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:05 pm

we have a few submissions already and submitter's  are concerned they will have their share of critics. do not let this deter you from participating

We have already thought of this and why tutorials are hidden till voting,  there will be no bashing,  ALL submissions are posted in the WhitePapers Section, where no one can comment.member votes will be the response!

if you feel the need to tell us thats not how I do it ........YOU make a better tutorial,  it will be welcomed :mrgreen:

SO DONT BE BASHFUL SUBMITTING YOUR TUTORIALS
so far gentlemen this looks to be very interesting & productive, Im excited about this project KEEP THEM COMING !
 [wrench.gif]
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"