December run on the BLACKWATER.

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

December run on the BLACKWATER.

Postby mtechmarine » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:38 am

While you all "up North" shiver in below zero cold, we were presented with a 77 degree forecast for today. :D  icon_thumbup.gif

So we fired up the Mark 50 MOD on the Duratech to for a little ride. Arriving at the ramp found the lot FULL Evidently someone local must have had a tournament of some sort. Fortunately there was ONE skinny spot the rig would fit into.

No one else was available but I wasn't gonna miss out on this, cuz it might be months before we get this sort of a temp, on the Gulf Coast the cold snaps apex is right here in Pensacola / Milton, go to New Orleans or Tallahassee and its warmer.

Besides, I have been on the beach with health issues for 2 months and finally out of this funk (I hope for good, but) so doubly anxious.

This motor is the one I added to frankenmercs  (Got No votes  :-( ) posting. It's a Mark 50 powerhead modified on a KG-9 mid & lower. Trucks right along, had fun. I need to do something for a carb to mag pickup, the existing setup opens the carbs too soon and the motor will starve out off idle, tricky to keep running.

DSC00266.JPG

DSC00265.JPG
mtechmarine

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: December run on the BLACKWATER.

Postby daveswaves » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:42 am

Yes bill we have had snowstorms,freezing rain and now rain turning to snow again.  Not boating weather icon_thumbdown.gif   77 degrees is wonderful.  Glad you are feeling better!
, 71 merc 7.5,75 merc 1500 custom,mark5,mark10a,67 merc1100ss
Uccaomci.com
daveswaves
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby bobvdinghyracer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:14 am

love the motor SWEET  icon_thumbup.gif  icon_thumbup.gif ... also funny i recently picked up a 13 ft duratech, vintage mid to late 50`s   ( to .. flip / sell ) icon_thumbup.gif
7.5 9.8 s ke7 kf7 kg7  kh7  wiz10,wiz10q  wiz12,mk15  mk20s mk25s mk30,50,55,58,10a,15a,28a,200s,35twin,300,350,400,450,500,650/4,
 650/3,kg4q,kg7h kg7q ,wiz12h,wiz12q, mk25pop,30h,450q,25ss, 25xsmodh, 650/3cyl mod h, 35twin mod.16/21 25xd mod-16/21h
bobvdinghyracer

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby squirrelboydeluxe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:33 am

Beautiful rig and pics mtech
THANK YOU icon_thumbup.gif
Glad there was a parking spot for you :lol:
Does it start pretty good or did you have to pull awhile :???:

We got out the day before Xmas last year
It was in the 60's but overcast- still a great day
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Wisdom may come on little cat's feet- but in so doing leaves little oily footprints across the clean carpet of innocence.
Perhaps eventually more little oily cat footprints will adorn the carpet- and wisdom will be ours
squirrelboydeluxe

Postby mark 55 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:46 pm

MOXIE!!! I don't remember seeing her that relaxed before! Man that is some flat water! Hey, who's the guy in the boat with her?  :lol:  :lol:

Mtech, I'm jealous. 5 below this morning here in southern Wisconsin. Yet far colder just a ways north of here. After church i'll "supervise" the boys as they shovel the driveway, then work on getting some Mark 30 measurements for Michael. Not as good a day as you had, but still not bad as I will still get to do some motor stuff!
People in a hurry to get married should be trusted as much as people eager to get elected.
mark 55

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Fastjeff » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Can't someone send Michael the cowlings and tower for a Mark 30?  That shouldn't be too expensive to ship, and the inners are not needed (as I understand it).

Jeff
Words spoken in two stroke heaven: There's no fuel like an oiled fuel.
Fastjeff

Postby mtechmarine » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:38 pm

squirrelboydeluxe wrote:Beautiful rig and pics mtech
THANK YOU icon_thumbup.gif
Glad there was a parking spot for you :lol:
Does it start pretty good or did you have to pull awhile :???:

We got out the day before Xmas last year
It was in the 60's but overcast- still a great day

ELECTRIC START! When I built this thing, welded 2 tabs on the block to use direct drive starter. Any day you can get out for a boat ride is a GOOD day!

It is hard to start due to the aforementioned too early opening carburetors.I need to fabricate some sort of cam to sync the carbs and magneto better, right now the lever that opens the carbs sticks out too far, as soon as you move the magneto it flips the carbs open even when slid all the way back as far as the slots allow.

I think maybe I'll try the Mark55Q on this boat next! I have never seen a better built aluminum boat of this type, it has 3 knees on the transom, a side seat stbd. an angle brace portside and nice cast corners up top. you could mount almost anything on this boat. And after over 50 years of abuse it doesn't leak a drop.

20141207_111234.jpg
Nasty mess as it looked when I got her home.
mtechmarine

Postby ctpdsr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Couple of thoughts.

Are you using the traditional MK55 style brass lever on a shorter KA series shaft? Note the arm on the mag drive and the brass lever are both adjustable. Works just fine on my 44 sport motors.

Porting can be a good thing in some applications and also just plain bad bad in others. A port job designed for H-Tower Mod Hydros running fast all the time may behave like crap on a service tower, even the KG-9 style, and pleasure hull.

Chuck
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"