Parts washer questions

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Parts washer questions

Postby mark 55 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:46 pm

I usually use gas with a spray bottle and/or in a 5 gallon bucket to clean parts but need to have something more permanent where I can stand or sit more comfortably. Couple questions on parts washers.

1-What kind of solvent/solution would you guys use? I don’t want to sacrifice performance and results for types that are “bio-ethical” or “earth friendly”. It looks like the big difference from one solution to the next is solvent based vs water based. I really want good clean parts if I’m going to go to all the effort. On the other hand, I would prefer not to get brain damage from exposure. I’m already beginning to wonder if I haven’t been “touched” over the years by all the stuff I’ve been exposed to.  :lol:

2-The unit I’m looking at is 30x21. Does that seem like a reasonable size that can accommodate mid-sections, etc without taking up too much shop space? https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance ... B078WJB4X2

3-Anything to look for as far as the pump goes?

4-What other factors should I be taking into account? What would you do differently if you were setting up a parts cleaning system  from scratch?

Thanks!
Scott
People in a hurry to get married should be trusted as much as people eager to get elected.
mark 55

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Re: Parts washer questions

Postby Fitz73222 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:43 pm

I use Kerosene in my parts washer, cleans almost as well as gasoline without worrying about an explosion.
Fitz73222

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 am

In the aviation industry  "Stoddard Solvent" or Varsol is the usual parts cleaner fluid.  It has about the same flammability as kerosene, but it doesn't stink, important if you get some on your hands.  Never use gasoline, that's way too flammable and dangerous.  Today's water based cleaning solvents are really good and some have corrosion inhibitors in them so they won't rust stuff.
Yellowjacket

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Cottage Racer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 am

The Harbor Freight one has 5 1/4 gpm almost twice the power for $100 and you usually can find a 20% off coupon.
Cottage Racer

1 year of membership

Postby mercaholic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:02 pm

For parts that are rusted and can't be soda blasted I use a mix of water and muriatic acid.

Even old bronze props come away looking good and take to easier polishing afterwards.

Need to wear gloves and a mask however.
CANADA
KD4, Mk5, Mk6, Mk15, Mk20, Mk25, Mk28, Mk30, KE7, KF7, KG7, KG4, KH7, Merc 200, Merc 250, Merc 300, Merc 500, KG4Q, KG4H, KG7Q, KG7H, Mk20H
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Fitz73222 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:22 pm

mercaholic wrote:For parts that are rusted and can't be soda blasted I use a mix of water and muriatic acid.

Even old bronze props come away looking good and take to easier polishing afterwards.

Need to wear gloves and a mask however.

Dad always told me "remember what you order put the acid in the water".
Fitz73222

Postby JW in Dixie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:14 pm

A Water Pic and kerosene is a good combo for carbs.
JW in Dixie

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Location: Huntsville, Alabama (ah, that's in Dixie, I say, Dixie, son)

Postby DaytonaJohn » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:43 am

the problem with that JEGS or similar Harbor Freight unit is the cost of the solution. Also some parts will be too large. Here's what I do:

I will take a power head and soak it in a 2 gallon soup pot of that cleaner I got at Tractor Supply. It comes in a 5 gallon jug. the power head and small parts fit in the soup pot. I take a lower unit and drive shaft housing to a machine shop and ask them to put them in the parts washer they put engines in.....like a big dish washer with soap. Many times after I've soaked a power head, I will strip the power head of paint in my bead blaster. Ill disassemble the power head and ask the machine shop to wash my block, hone the cylinders, then oil the cylinders.

After the drive shaft housing and other parts ( in a milk crate ) will stay in the parts washer 3-4 cycles of cleaning other parts. He'll call me when the parts and cleaned and cylinders honed and charge me $10

A friend in my AOMCI chapter is a Snap On dealer. He asked me if I wanted a used SO parts washer because somebody was retiring and selling everything. The 20 gallons of parts solution cost well over $150

A friend with a garage says his parts washer solution is changed out on a schedule with a service like Safe-T-Kleen. It costs about $300 to renew the fluid

I wouldn't buy that JEGS cleaner. I would talk to a machine shop about paying them to wash your large parts and do what I do with the 2 gallon soup pot.
John Timmins, Ormond -by-the-Sea, Florida.  Retired licensed marine engineer from steamship companys under contract with the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association, a union of merchant marine engineers since 1876. Ship your cargo on  U.S. flag ships !
DaytonaJohn

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"