It takes machines to help men

Post photos, videos, documents, old ads, etc., that are related

It takes machines to help men

Postby mercules » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 pm

During the war the use of aluminum was restricted to military devices only, Mercury Outboards (Kiekhaefer Corp.) had just started up in 1939 and when their supplies were almost exhausted they managed to get contracts to produce small engines and the chainsaw but they stopped outboard manufacturing. The whole story is very messy with the chain man. trying to take over the whole device and the Army constantly making changes in the specifications that reduced the profit margin, profits that were used to design more engines.
Meanwhile omc was able to keep on making outboards. The same thing was repeated during the korean War.
Despite these and other backstabbing occurrences Mercury became the world leader in Marine products.
armynavyww2small.jpg
Let's fix it now - before we launch the boat.
mercules

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: It takes machines to help men

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Mercury Marine is the "only" American outboard manufacturer today...   E.C. Kiekhaefer is smiling   :-)
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby creekrunner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:52 am

:arrow:  for sure
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg.....sometimes you win...sometimes you learn
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby Ram Jet » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:14 am

Tom Brockmeyer wrote:Mercury Marine is the "only" American outboard manufacturer today.   E.C. Kiekhaefer is smiling   :-)

I'll bet he would grin like a cat eating feces if he could see my old KH7 running today.

Bill
Ram Jet

1 year of membership

Postby AU52N » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:36 am

We have a Mercury Chain Saw and a Mercury war time stationary engine both for sale if anyone is interested.  I can post pictures.
David
AU52N

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Special K » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:52 am

You don’t see the mercury war time alternative items every day. I bet the chain saw is awesome.
Special K

Return to Mercury History