KG Spark advance stabilizer

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

KG Spark advance stabilizer

Postby AU52N » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 pm

There has been a length discussion as part of a thread on getting a KG7H engine to run correctly and in that discussion there mention of max spark advance on these engines. A while  back in one of our purchases of Mercury parts collections we obtained a Quincy made item that would hold the advance lever in what ever position you wanted.  We have since sold the part but we have a copy of the operating instructions which I have attached to this post.

David
Image (43).jpg
AU52N

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Re: KG Spark advance stabilizer

Postby Locomotion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:58 pm

David,

Thanks for sharing this information.
That is an interesting part, does the ball just sit in a recess?

Thanks again,
Ray
Ray
East Tennessee Born & Raised  
KG7H Clone
Mark 58
Locomotion

Postby AU52N » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 am

yes

I have levers that were partially drilled like counter sunk but neve new why until I saw this part
David
AU52N

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 am

AU52N wrote:yes

I have levers that were partially drilled like counter sunk but neve new why until I saw this part
David

The blind hole gets a spring, then the ball bearing, then got "staked" so the ball could protrude, but not come out.   It's commonly called a "Ball Detent".  I just put them on my interior french doors in the house so I wouldn't need real hardware for doors I won't lock.
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby AU52N » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Tom, I was saying the spark advance lever, not the Quincy part, was drilled to form a dimple in the lever arm so the ball could rest into the detent.
David
AU52N

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:08 pm

AU52N wrote:Tom, I was saying the spark advance lever, not the Quincy part, was drilled to form a dimple in the lever arm so the ball could rest into the detent.
David

Oh... 10-4.   I thought you meant the Quincy parts with blind holes.  Didn't seem like any of those would have gotten away without the ball & spring!  Thanks!
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"