Swift D hydro's

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Swift D hydro's

Postby S.B.Marsden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 am

Hello everyone,  just wondering who has any early Swift D hydro's or knows about them.  Hopefully mine will be my next restoration.  The history on it I do not know.  But what I do know is that when I looked at it, my thoughts are that it is in good shape and did not see much use and should be a nice restoration, or should I say preservation for this one to do.  The one thing that I could not figure out and had me confused about it was the 15" transom that looked original.  That concern was put to rest when my first phone call about it was to Dick ODea and explained it to him.   He had the answer right away, he informed me that it was one of the very early ones that was made for the KG9Q motors.  A very interesting thing I notice was where the drains are located. I was also told that was common on the early ones.
Anyone have any pictures of these early ones?
Attachments
swift race boat 005.JPG
swift race boat 004.JPG
swift race boat 003.JPG
S.B.Marsden

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: Swift D hydro's

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:14 am

Now you need a KG-9Q  oh wait, you've got one!  :mrgreen:
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  (2)Mark 55, Mark 58A (2)Merc 200 FGS, Merc 450, Merc 500.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby zul8tr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am

Search here:

http://boatsport.org/

I googled Swift Hydroplanes and went to images;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sw ... ORM=HDRSC2

That Yankee Doodle belonged to a local AOMCI member ex hydro and MotoGP  racer George Taylor. He had it at a local AOMCI meet and later sold the complete rig. Really nice restored early 1950 DSH with a KG7H, same engine with the green cover in the pics.

Here is George's add from the sale:

https://boats-from-usa.com/not-specifie ... lane-91824

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IRjTvyJl6k

There are many more on the I-net
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
zul8tr

Postby zul8tr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 pm

zul8tr wrote:Search here:

That Yankee Doodle belonged to a local AOMCI member ex hydro and MotoGP  racer George Taylor. He had it at a local AOMCI meet and later sold the complete rig. Really nice restored early 1950 DSH with a KG7H, same engine with the green cover in the pics.

Opps! I knew better meant KG9H
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
zul8tr

Postby S.B.Marsden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Thanks for the references and Stan, yes they are going to make a nice pair.
S.B.Marsden

Postby Toby Hall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm

zul8tr wrote:

That's my old 40H. I sold it to George a few years ago for this boat. A 40H was the original motor on this rig. He was a cool guy...successful boat and motorcycle racer. He built the fiberglass bubble fairings for the old race bikes, in the 60's & 70's, as a business and raced competitively well into his 60's. Won at Daytona!  He started racing, down South,  as a kid, in the early fifties with his father, who was a doctor. His father was killed at a race, but George kept racing. He raced under a different name so his mother wouldn't find out.  He had some great stories. Hope he's doing well.  8-)
The stuff you can't see - That's what's important.
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby AU52N » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Georges father was killed on Lake Lloyd in the infield of the Daytona Speedway.  That is why there a no more boat races at the Speedway.
David
AU52N

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby zul8tr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Toby Hall wrote:
zul8tr wrote:

That's my old 40H. I sold it to George a few years ago for this boat. A 40H was the original motor on this rig. He was a cool guy...successful boat and motorcycle racer. He built the fiberglass bubble fairings for the old race bikes, in the 60's & 70's, as a business and raced competitively well into his 60's. Won at Daytona!  He started racing, down South,  as a kid, in the early fifties with his father, who was a doctor. His father was killed at a race, but George kept racing. He raced under a different name so his mother wouldn't find out.  He had some great stories. Hope he's doing well.  8-)

George comes to local (Central Fla) AOMCI meets and is doing well at 78 or there about. Still runs his Sid Craft short sponson D stock Hydro with a 55H #L-6 in the pics I posted above and in pic below. I have run that hydro to right about 80 mph, very fast boat nice ride but tricky in a turn with the short sponsons unless you keep them aired out. The many conversations with George about racing cycles and hydros are very interesting history. Especially about running GP cycle at Daytona at huge top speed.  :shock:  icon_crazy.gif . His D hydro at 80 was slow for him when he left cycle racing.
Attachments
100_0059.JPG
George with his B Sid Craft with restored 20H, March 2018 AOMCI meet at Tavares Fla
100_0049.JPG
George's D Stock Sid L-6 with the 55H, March 2018 AOMCI meet at Tavares Fla
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

zul8tr

Postby ctpdsr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 pm

Gents,

I good friend has a 1967 Sidson D Stock Hydro for sale. Professional grade restoration complete less front fabric decking. I would be happy to make an introduction if any are interested. Located in Northern WI - not far from Tomahawk.

Chuck

5200 cans 016.JPG
5200 cans 015.JPG
5200 cans 014.JPG
Dinghy & Hydro pics 009.jpg
Dinghy & Hydro pics 008.jpg
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"