searching posts

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

searching posts

Postby kirkp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm probably too old to figure it out so looking for some help. Is there a way to do a advanced search where I can search for two words that must occur together? For instance, if I wanted to search for "carburetor shop" and I only cared about those two words in that order and don't want all the other posts with the words carburetor or shop.

Thanks
Kirk
kirkp

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: searching posts

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

kirkp wrote:I'm probably too old to figure it out so looking for some help. Is there a way to do a advanced search where I can search for two words that must occur together? For instance, if I wanted to search for "carburetor shop" and I only cared about those two words in that order and don't want all the other posts with the words carburetor or shop.

Thanks
Kirk

our data base is pretty big so yes "many" search returns come up to read thru....and sometimes it will say that word is "too common"

be more specific is the best advice
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 pm

I have wondered the same think, Kirk...  It may be possible to change the board's search settings to allow boolean searches and add parameters such as +/- before a word to require or omit, and quotes "around a specific phrase" to be more specific.

Michael?  Is there a chance this board has search settings that can be changed or upgraded?

Tom
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Using the "Advanced Search Feature"....Search for keywords:

Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found.
Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

there are no upgrades available
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby kirkp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 am

Tom, tried several searches using + signs, etc to find "carburetor shop". ended up with 11 pages of posts. Is what it is, just hoping would be able to narrow it down.

Kirk
kirkp

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 am

There is another way...  Using google and the standard search parameters mentions (+others you can "google"!)

Begin by logging in to JOMS, then open another window and use google.com
Type this string in first, then your search string like this:    site:johnsoldmercurysite.com  "carburetor shop"

The JOMS site contains no threads with "carburetor shop" together as put in quotes.  
Result:  No results found for site:johnsoldmercurysite.com "carburetor shop"

The key is you need to be logged into JOMS to click the results links from the google search.   I find myself with JOMS open in two or three windows sometimes so it's easier to cut-n-paste text from one thread to another while doing edits.
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"