Standish16 eli .jpg
Eli at speed ;

Standish16 beans.jpg
Winners get Boston beans;
Attachments
Standish16 WTF.jpg
What the Heck  is happening here ?
bh/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: JOMS @ Standish ME

Postby Toby Hall » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:35 pm

This is great!
The stuff you can't see - That's what's important.
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby peter1708 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Awesome photos!  

In the second photo, it looks like a later model Mercury, do those relatively newer motors use stock lower units, or do they have racing LU's available?  

Pete
peter1708
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby creekrunner » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:12 pm

A visit to:  http://southshoreoutboard.com/   or the APBA website will probably answer most of your questions.. icon_thumbup.gif
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby LarryR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00 pm

peter1708 wrote:Awesome photos!  

In the second photo, it looks like a later model Mercury, do those relatively newer motors use stock lower units, or do they have racing LU's available?  

Pete

They are 1999-2007 15-hp mercs with modifications.
The gearcase is a 1:1 "split-case" unit that was originally designed for the 15-hp Johnson/Evinrude "A" motor.
APBA sells them.  $1165 was the last price I was quoted.
Brown Tool and Machine sells the rest of the parts required to convert.
The whole engine, new & ready to run, sells for around $4000 (also from APBA)
The Js run props supplied by APBA at the race site, but AX props run from $300-$400 each.
Our three engines are probably worth more than my 37 antique mercs, 2/3s of which are fully restored.
little merc shop, Londonderry, NH; 1946 thru 1961 merc restoration :)
LarryR

Postby bh/ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:02 pm

I  apologize  to the moderator for my overly descriptive use of language under my 4th pic.
From now on I will stick to  'OMG' s and Smilies...... icon_wtf.gif
bh/
bh/

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:57 am

bh/ wrote:I  apologize  to the moderator for my overly descriptive use of language under my 4th pic. -BH

I got yer back, Brian... -Tom
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby LarryR » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Tom Brockmeyer wrote:
bh/ wrote:I  apologize  to the moderator for my overly descriptive use of language under my 4th pic. -BH

I got yer back, Brian... -Tom

Gosh darn it, Brian, we're used to that filthy language down here in the former colonies  :eek: .
LarryR

Postby creekrunner » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36 am

I think that Bruce had other thoughts.... icon_wtf.gif
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby chuckw » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:58 am

Question: Is any fluorescent color other than orange acceptable now? i notice a bright green helmet. Back in the day only international orange was allowed.
Just curious if APBA change the rule.
KG7(4), Mark20H(2), 20H conversion, KF7(4), KE7, KH7, 25SS, KG7H(3), KG7Q, KG4Q, Mark 15 pumper, Mark 25Q, Mark 15, Mark 20, Mark 25(5), KG4, KF5, KD4, KD3, KE4, Mark 7, WG7, WN7, WM7A, Mark 20 rat.
chuckw

Postby LarryR » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:41 pm

There are three legal colors, orange, yellow and bright green.  They must be Snell 2010 compliant (2005 is legal, but won't be next year).
Eli's green helmet came as a "gimme" with his Wally runabout.  
It was a typical motorcycle helmet with a wild multicolor design under beautiful clearcoat.
It had to be painted something and Eli liked green, so I scuffed it up, masked it and sprayed it with a rattle can.  
That green covers incredibly badly icon_silent.gif , so maybe 9 coats?  Then three coats of clear.
I like it 'cause you can spot him in a crowd.
Most orange helmets are not "fluorescent" orange.
LarryR

Postby Fastjeff » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Here's an old model railroading tip for using minimal paint with hard to cover colors:  Spray the part silver (aluminum) first.  It easily covers any color, and can be colored itself with minimal paint.  

We used this technique for railcar/ locomotive bodies to prevent heavy buildup that concealed tiny features (like door hinges and etc.)

Jeff
Words spoken in two stroke heaven: There's no fuel like an oiled fuel.
Fastjeff
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby LarryR » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 am

Fastjeff wrote:Here's an old model railroading tip for using minimal paint with hard to cover colors:  Spray the part silver (aluminum) first.  It easily covers any color, and can be colored itself with minimal paint.  

We used this technique for railcar/ locomotive bodies to prevent heavy buildup that concealed tiny features (like door hinges and etc.)

Jeff

Good tip, Jeff.  icon_thumbup.gif   Always got dull aluminum on hand.
LarryR

Return to JohnsOldMercurySite.com APBA RACING TEAM