57 Speedliner

post topics not related to mercury's here

57 Speedliner

Postby Toby Hall » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 am

Back in August, a friend of mine asked me to take care of his old runabout, so I thought I'd post a show and tell here...

IMG_6268.jpeg
57 Speedliner Caballero

IMG_2798.jpeg
I'm begging you for a Mark 55 - muy fuego!

IMG_6511.jpeg
Topsy turvy

IMG_6512.jpeg
Fiberglas  ugh

IMG_6656.jpeg
Rip & tear

IMG_6657.jpeg
Fiberglassing over 62 year old suspect plywood is never a good choice

IMG_6660.jpeg
Here's why

IMG_6746.jpeg
Lots of brass dezincified/broken screws later...

IMG_6775.jpeg
Out, standing in his field. 50% of the bottom fasteners were broken and all the stringers were loose.
The stuff you can't see - That's what's important.
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: 57 Speedliner

Postby Toby Hall » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 pm

IMG_6786.jpeg
Strip, bleach, Smith's Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, Sikkens

IMG_6825.jpeg
All the stringers and both chines reattached. Silicon bronze screws, 3M 5200 adhesive caulk. About 30% of the old fasteners were broken!

IMG_6867.jpeg
New Okume plywood bottom pieces, scarfed to lengthen, epoxied together

IMG_6898.jpeg
New bottom fastened. Silicon bronze screws and 5200 again

IMG_7251 2.jpeg
New keel, stain, varnish, stainless keel rub.
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Deep C » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:10 pm

That is beautiful, nice work
Deep C

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby zul8tr » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:26 pm

That is very excellent work  icon_thumbup.gif  icon_clap.gif Been there with restorations.
Did you do stain then epoxy over the new wood then varnish?
What brand and type varnish and stain?
Roll and tip on the varnish?
Always interested in products and techniques.
Time for a   [drinkingcheers.gif]
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
zul8tr

Postby Toby Hall » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:33 am

zul8tr wrote:That is very excellent work  icon_thumbup.gif  icon_clap.gif Been there with restorations.

Thanks!
 I used Interlux Brown Mahogany filler stain on the exterior of the bottom. I thin this stuff out by about 20% cause I think it looks too muddy and hides too much of the grain if you put it on straight out of the can. Then I sealed it with Interlux Schooner varnish, thinned by about 15% with Interlux #333 brushing liquid, on the first coat. Soaks in better thinned.
Then successive coats of straight varnish, sanding in between with 220 grit and later on 320 grit. Foam roller to apply the varnish and then tip it off with a foam brush. I always get Jen foam brushes.
Made in the USA and 100% better than the chintzy ones with the plastic inserts from Home Depot or Lowes. Those don't last. I didn't seal the plywood with epoxy ahead of time, but I do soak any exposed edges with Smith's Penetrating Epoxy Sealer to help prevent any water soaking in.  The bottom ply is 9mm rotary sliced Okume and the sides are 6mm ribbon sliced Sappele, both marine grade.  The inside of the plywood gets three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine Coating - Satin finish.  No sanding between coats with this stuff, just roll and tip like regular varnish...gives a really nice aged honey colored look. Looks good on an old boat and matched the original wood pieces pretty well.
 My client wanted to bring this boat back as close as possible to the original finish. I had help from Steve Schomburg, from Seajay Boats in St Joseph MO. Speedliners were manufactured  by General Marine in St Joseph MO, as well.... by Steve's father!
 Pretty cool.  I hope to replicate the two toned decks, like in the brochure pic,  when I get to that far along. Steve sent me the brochure picture and help identify the year and model from the hull #314 817  -   Speedliner Caballero and was sold on 10/13/1958 to Hatfield's Sporting Goods in St Joseph MO.    8-)
IMG_6899.jpeg
Interior finish
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:57 am

Fantastic job!!!

9mm on the bottom is like battleship strong.  Must have been tough to bend it near the bow...   Was the original bottom 3/8 ply.  That seems like overkill given the bottom rib and stringer spacing.  I'd have thought that 1/4 plywood would have been the original thickness but it is what it was.

Okoume is great wood from a strength to weight ratio basis..  It's really light which also means it's not really that strong.   Good stuff but it does ding and scrape easily and it absorbs water and isn't really that good from a rot basis.   Nowadays most people even racers are using epoxy on the bottom to better seal it.  Yes it adds weight, but if you beach it and its not perfect sand you won't gouge it as easily

I get that the person wants it to be restored "as originally built".  I guess that if you aren't going to use it a lot that's fine.    If you're going to use it a lot, then the upkeep on a varnished bottom is going to be a lot greater than epoxy.
Yellowjacket

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:15 am

Excellent work buddy! Amazing how much you can get done being retired huh? Lunch soon!
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  (2)Mark 55, Mark 58A (2)Merc 200 FGS, Merc 450, Merc 500.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby biglargeone » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:25 pm

WOW Toby !
biglargeone

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby zul8tr » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Toby Hall wrote:
zul8tr wrote:That is very excellent work  icon_thumbup.gif  icon_clap.gif Been there with restorations.

Thanks!
 I used Interlux Brown Mahogany filler stain on the exterior of the bottom. I thin this stuff out by about 20% cause I think it looks too muddy and hides too much of the grain if you put it on straight out of the can. Then I sealed it with Interlux Schooner varnish, thinned by about 15% with Interlux #333 brushing liquid, on the first coat. Soaks in better thinned.
Then successive coats of straight varnish, sanding in between with 220 grit and later on 320 grit. Foam roller to apply the varnish and then tip it off with a foam brush. I always get Jen foam brushes.
Made in the USA and 100% better than the chintzy ones with the plastic inserts from Home Depot or Lowes. Those don't last. I didn't seal the plywood with epoxy ahead of time, but I do soak any exposed edges with Smith's Penetrating Epoxy Sealer to help prevent any water soaking in.  The bottom ply is 9mm rotary sliced Okume and the sides are 6mm ribbon sliced Sappele, both marine grade.  The inside of the plywood gets three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine Coating - Satin finish.  No sanding between coats with this stuff, just roll and tip like regular varnish...gives a really nice aged honey colored look. Looks good on an old boat and matched the original wood pieces pretty well.
 My client wanted to bring this boat back as close as possible to the original finish. I had help from Steve Schomburg, from Seajay Boats in St Joseph MO. Speedliners were manufactured  by General Marine in St Joseph MO, as well.... by Steve's father!
 Pretty cool.  I hope to replicate the two toned decks, like in the brochure pic,  when I get to that far along. Steve sent me the brochure picture and help identify the year and model from the hull #314 817  -   Speedliner Caballero and was sold on 10/13/1958 to Hatfield's Sporting Goods in St Joseph MO.    8-)
IMG_6899.jpeg

Thanks for the detail, appreciate it. The owner sure has to be careful to keep that bottom in great shape.

Would you show pics of the bow, side Sapele , etc. Interested how you controlled the mating seams of the keel, beveled bottom side pieces and at the bow with the bending and fitting that was done with plywood? Aside: for a hydroplane that I re-decked using 3mm Okume with dramatic fore aft and side curvatures,  I made a thin cardboard templet  to get the approximate fit. Wound up with a 4 piece fit that required lots of trial and trimming of the wood for great seams with the final attach, definitely a PITA. Great to have a low angle hand plane [wrench.gif]

How any coats of varnish to reach final acceptable for you? Except for a clean place to varnish how else do you control shop dust and chiggers, etc that always find the wet varnish? Aside: for the race boats I use 2 coats of epoxy to seal and add strength, then 3 coats of varnish to UV protect the epoxy. When dry a week or so to remove minor dust, chiggers, minor imperfections, etc I block sand the varnish with wet 2000, then wet 5000 then super fine compound (about 8000 grit) and final machine buff with foam pad at 200 rpm.  Not all varnishes will buff out, depends on the oil content and other chemistry, trial area required. I have my preferences after trying several through the years for the race stuff. The compound that works great is Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover (reasonable at Walmart $2.50/bottle). Also great for dull head light plastic lenses after some very fine grit wet sanding as needed.

Is that Famowood filler used to fill the screw resets?
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
zul8tr

Postby Toby Hall » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes, mahogany Famowood to fill the screw holes. That's how it was from the factory. No bungs.
I've got 6 coats of varnish on the bottom, which I'm guessing is more than factory. I read where the Chris Craft factory only put three coats on their boats, when new! I'm sure there will be some trailer rash right off the bat, but really not much worse than if it was painted. I'll apply more to the sides and the deck, when I get there....most likely 10 at least.  My shop is a cloud of dust and chiggers! I won't worry about it until the last few coats. I was lobbying for a painted bottom, but the owner wanted it like what the factory did.
The plywood thicknesses are as original...not really much bend in the 9mm bottom. I've got the port side of the side plywood on, of the 6mm, and that was another story...although the thinner thickness made it possible. Plywood only wants to bend in one direction and this boat has a little bit of a tumblehome, which made it challenging.
The bleach is a two part mixture that they don't sell any more, (Used to be made by Klean Strip) but you can make your own with the power of Google. It's basically (no pun intended) a lye solution and swimming pool bleach. Gloves and safety glasses are encouraged. Does the trick though.
IMG_6831.jpeg
I missed these transom pics.

IMG_6833.jpeg
The 3/4 ply and the exterior mahogany trim was shot.

IMG_6836.jpeg
I was able to save most of the inner transom pieces

IMG_6843.jpeg
Bleaching
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Toby Hall » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:55 pm

IMG_6851.jpeg
Same drill - strip, bleach, seal with SPES, stain, glue back together with 5200

IMG_6853.jpeg
Same as it ever was
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Very beautiful work, Toby, and I have enjoyed your post.
Bob
Bob

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:54 pm

nice work
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Genel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:03 pm

WOW!!!!  I don't know any other way to put it. :arrow:
Genel
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby buff5 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:06 pm

MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ronald
buff5

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Toby Hall » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:03 am

IMG_7277.jpeg
The young people flipped her over on Thanksgiving. I like the shape!

IMG_7304.jpeg
In for a penny - in for a pound.

IMG_7305.jpeg
Probably a good thing the decks came off. Broken framing. Pine 2X4 block. Drywall screw. Masking tape shims. No Bueno.

IMG_7306.jpeg
What formerly lurked beneath the fiberglass.

IMG_7307.jpeg
Center deck framing. Curiously this splice appeared to be original. More broken screws.

IMG_7312.jpeg
Not sure why the transom didn't just fly off the back!
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:44 am

Beautiful job Toby!
Peter
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Toby Hall » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:40 pm

IMG_7314.jpeg
New oak front deck frame

IMG_7315.jpeg
Makes me feel better about the transom!

IMG_7318.jpeg
Just a horrible old repair. Really?

IMG_7319.jpeg
Out with the old.

IMG_7322.jpeg
In with the new.

IMG_7324.jpeg
Starbord side. New mahogany inner piece to match.  
The outer gunnel I laminated two pieces of 3/8 ply left over from the bottom to get my 3/4 thickness.  
West System Epoxy and thickener to glue it up.
Clamp over night and fasten in with 5200 the next day.
Final shaping with a sharp block plane and beltsander.

IMG_7328.jpeg
Almost ready to start siding!
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby zul8tr » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:14 pm

Very nice work on that old hull  icon_thumbup.gif
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

zul8tr

Postby Toby Hall » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:52 pm

IMG_7339.jpeg
Ready to start the siding. (Former construction worker)

IMG_7331.jpeg
First fit. 1/4" X 14'  Pretty floppy. Torture tested that scarf joint flipping this around multiple times!

IMG_7340.jpeg
Rough outlines marked out of the chine and the gunnel. I cut that extra stuff off now...leave the lines on, plus a little.  Those little plywood blocks are my helpers.  They hang the plywood while I can grab a clamp or two. Like the spinning plate guy in the circus.

IMG_7346.jpeg
Adhesive caulk on all the frames, chine and gunnel.  Has to go on without smearing it into the inside.  Stressful!

IMG_7347.jpeg
1" coarse thread drywall screws and fender washers suck the plywood in around the curves, until the caulk sets up.  No predrilling.  Tough to clamp there.

IMG_7348.jpeg
Whew! Made it.

IMG_7358.jpeg
Minimal interior caulk splooge.

IMG_7369.jpeg
Port side screwed, glued and tattooed! (Former construction worker)  Trimmed the extra at gunnel with a laminate trimmer and the bottom chine with a Fine Multimaster - being careful not to mar the finished bottom. Sharp block plane to finish both off.

59779440733__279766BB-611E-452D-A046-22AB85BB7BD9.jpg
Some tools of the trade.  Happy New Year everybody!
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby HawkEyes » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:01 am

Looking very good.  8-) 1/4" hull... Will you be using fiberglass too?
Marc,

South East Michigan, Lake Erie is where I play.
HawkEyes

Postby Toby Hall » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:04 pm

Nope, no fiberglass. I'm aiming to get as close to what the factory did, as I can.
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby chuckw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:14 pm

You are a Mastercraftsman [wrench.gif]
KG7(4), Mark20H(2), 20H conversion, KF7(4), KE7, KH7, 25SS, KG7H(3), KG7Q, KG4Q, Mark 15 pumper, Mark 25Q, Mark 15, Mark 20, Mark 25(5), KG4, KF5, KD4, KD3, KE4, Mark 7, WG7, WN7, WM7A, Mark 20 rat.
chuckw

Postby Toby Hall » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:09 am

Thanks Chuck...still learning!  [drinkingcheers.gif]

IMG_7368.jpeg
Side B

IMG_7372.jpeg
Like hangin drywall

IMG_7373.jpeg
Sikkens on the inside

IMG_7386.jpeg
Temp screws like on side A, until the adhesive sets.

IMG_7399.jpeg
Permanent screws and trimmed

IMG_7398.jpeg
The blue tape, down low, is to protect the finished bottom when I trim the bottom edge of the sides flush.
I cut it close first with my Fein multimaster and then finish it off with a sharp block plane, following the angle of the bottom.
Sharp is the keyword here.

IMG_7440.jpeg
When the plane hits the tape - stop! What remains can be sanded off flush.  Can of corn.
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 am

Looks good buddy! Do we get to wet test it at Keuka before delivery?
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  (2)Mark 55, Mark 58A (2)Merc 200 FGS, Merc 450, Merc 500.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Toby Hall » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Probably should make sure that it floats huh?  I'll check the trailer bearings!   8-)
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Toby Hall » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:41 pm

IMG_7352.jpeg
When your layout is a little off.  M*&^&%$#@#$r!

IMG_7355.jpeg
Plug cutter

IMG_7462.jpeg
How to shape small irregularly shaped pieces of wood - ie the backside of the plug.

IMG_7353.jpeg
Align the grain. Go away!

IMG_7442.jpeg
Famowood mahogany filler.  Like finishing drywall.

IMG_7445.jpeg
Sanded.

IMG_7447.jpeg
Sealed. Smith's Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. Deck time!
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby zul8tr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Very nice work.
How thick is the top veneer of the ribbon mahogany plywood?
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

zul8tr

Postby Toby Hall » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 pm

zul8tr wrote:Very nice work.
How thick is the top veneer of the ribbon mahogany plywood?

Not very!  I've gone through in a couple of spots.  You have to be really careful!
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby ctpdsr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:23 am

Top notch work! That boat has classic lines.

Can't help but notice the 55H tower in the background. Perhaps a good match for the 55H-1 powerhead I have been messing around with lately.....

Chuck
IMG_3870.jpg
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby Toby Hall » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Good eye Chuck!    8-)

IMG_2798.jpeg
Original deck configuration

IMG_7457.jpeg
Layout

IMG_7467.jpeg
Cutout

IMG_7479.jpeg
Bleached blonde

IMG_7492.jpeg
While the glue dries on the front deck. Hit the tape!

IMG_7495.jpeg
Pretty close

IMG_7494.jpeg
Almost there...Ran out of screws
Toby Hall
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to Not Mercury Related