Chris Craft Commander

post topics not related to mercury's here

Chris Craft Commander

Postby mercaholic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Picked up this little worn out treasure.... icon_thumbup.gif

I heard Lee Holland had a medical issue so seeking another source of parts.

Anyone got anything available?
Attachments
cc2.jpg
cc1.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: Chris Craft Commander

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Ignition parts are pretty much same as Merc...  

Carb is a Carter, same as Merc...

Bearings & seals are from local supply store (like Mercs...)

Sure looks like a Merc....   Hey!  ECK should SUE those guys for copying the KG-7     (Nevermind... I read now that's exactly what happened)

John, exactly what parts are you after on that Commander (don't say "lower cowling")

Tom
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby mercaholic » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 pm

Lots of similarity to the KG7.

A little known fact is that the impeller from a KG7 will fit into the Commander...  :arrow:

Right now, three items  come to mind.  One is decals, the other items are a rubber grip and carb levers.
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:11 am

Found the parts I needed... [wrench.gif]
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:31 pm

BONUS.... :arrow:

Decent ignition Components
Attachments
ccign.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Tom Brockmeyer wrote:Carb is a Carter, same as Merc...

Actually, it was a Tillotson carb on those.  Looks very similar to the Carter design however.
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:46 pm

In my quest to see how far CC went to mimic Kiekhaefer KG7 model, I have been slowly tearing into this motor.

More to come as I proceed.
Attachments
ccc8.jpg
I was not satisfied that the water passages weren't obstructed so added a new gasket to the water jacket cover and installed a top of block oullet
ccc7.jpg
Similar ?
ccc6.jpg
similar ?
ccc5.jpg
Lower unit has some simliar design aspects
ccc4.jpg
Splines configuration are  identical which implies that a Rat Motor could be made to mount on a Commander Tower...hmmm
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:40 pm

More comparisons follow
Attachments
ccc11.jpg
Tillotson carb, similar to Carter.
ccc10.jpg
Thumb screw similarity.
ccc12.jpg
Same shaft diameter but not splined like the KG7
ccc9.jpg
A KG7 impeller will substitute for the NLA version.
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Done and tank tested.
Attachments
ccc13.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:04 am

Looks great John!
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  (2)Mark 55, Mark 58A (2)Merc 200 FGS, Merc 450, Merc 500, Merc 60.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Peter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:56 am

She’s a beauty
Peter
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby mercaholic » Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Took the Commander out for a run yesterday and while it started and idled ok, it just did not top out like I seem to recall these things do so I removed the carb to find this had happened.

I must have missed it when I originally took off the carb to clean it.

On the plus side, after 2 hrs of running and fiddling, the original coils didn't break down.  

I now have a lead on another Commander to persue tomorrow.  If I score it, I will continue this thread
Attachments
wetmeetcc2.jpg
wetmeetcc1.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm

The new project.  

A little rougher than my previous projects with a few dents and bruises.  Apparently it was found lying on it's side in a guy's back yard area near it's birthplace in Algonac, Michigan.

Compression is only 75 psi on No.1 and 95 on No.2 jug so hoping just stuck rigs that will free up after I tank test it altho I'll first pull off the exhaust cover to see if any scoring.  

At least this one came with the hard to find factory shrouds and most of the other parts seem intact.
Attachments
ccbruce2.jpg
ccbruce1.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Tue May 21, 2019 12:02 am

Back from the soda-blaster.

Luckily, it came cheap as the factory paint or what was left of it, came off easy.... icon_thumbup.gif
Attachments
cc14.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to Not Mercury Related