Magna Pull recoils........

Show & Tell time! Photos, comments, stories, etc

Magna Pull recoils........

Postby SteveC » Mon May 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Well, as in my level of mental illness that tells me that "nothing is too far gone to be restored" genre.  I recently picked up an awful recoil assembly for a Mk-20.  I was looking for parts for my Scintilla project Test Mule, and at the time, didn't really have too much concern on how it looked... [violin.gif]
s-l500.jpg

Well, this one was so corroded, I almost couldn't get it apart.  The spring was broken into about 23 pieces.  The rest was frozen beyond belief, but I finally did get it apart.  I had a magna pull starter sheave assembly (The spool that the rope winds on and the magnets mount to.)  It had one of the pins that held the magnet in place broken off, and was otherwise cracked in several places.  I decided that I may be able to salvage the retainer pawl, and sheave shaft from the broken one and transfer it to the one that was so badly corroded.  I glass beaded the rusty one, and was able to remove the sheave shaft.  The one from a Mk-20 had a bushing on the sheave shaft, but the earlier one has an actual caged needle bearing on the sheave shaft.  I was able to transfer the bearing to the other sheave assembly and put the system back together.  I guess what prompted me to post this, was the realization that Mercury went to the length to put a caged needle bearing in a recoil!  I guess they figured out that it may have been overkill by the time the Mk-20 came around, as it had only a bronze bushing, but talk about well built!  

I will be painting it today, and this should be a fully functioning and good looking recoil when done.   icon_thumbup.gif

Steve
2 KD-4s, 2 KE-4's, 3 KE-7's, 2 KF-7's, KG-7 rat, 3 KG-7's,2 KH-7's, 2 KF-5's, 2 Mk-5's, 4 Mk-20's, 7 Mk-25's, Mk-28.5, 3 Mk-10's , Merc. 450, 4 Merc.110's 63,68,68,69, 13 200's, Merc 60, Merc 800(71), & 1984 "D.U." 7.5
SteveC
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Re: Magna Pull recoils........

Postby Michael » Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Steve I applaud your tenacity   icon_clap.gif
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: Magna Pull recoils........

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Great job Steve. Many Mercurys have lived on to run another day because you won't give up. We should all follow in your footsteps!
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  Mark 55, Mark 58A (4) Merc 200 FGS, Merc 350, Merc 500, Merc 40, Merc 60.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Return to Current Projects