KG4H-Sea Nymph

Show & Tell time! Photos, comments, stories, etc

KG4H-Sea Nymph

Postby OhioHydro » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Finally decided Furnal Flyer is not going to fly in the local reservoir with 20H or 55H (10 hp limit). So, I am going to run what I have: KG4H on 12 foot Sea Nymph.  Obviously need a steering wheel, and a throttle.  I think I want two cable set up; boat will be a kneeler. Ran it with Mark 25; a little squirrely with higher center of gravity and too much aft weight. Any thoughts on the way I am going to run the cables?? Ok with the steering wheel flat on the seat?
Attachments
IMG_2304.JPG
OhioHydro
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Re: KG4H-Sea Nymph

Postby dave bernard » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:24 pm

I think the biggest problem will be prop. that boat will need a lot smaller pitch prop than a race boat.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Steve77t » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 am

I have some small new brass props in my beer barrel, tell me what you need, Steve
Steve77t

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby OhioHydro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:07 am

Steve, I have no idea what I need. Actually kind of excited I figured out how take one of these cool motors and put it on boat I can trailer to the reservoir which I can see from my house. That kind of access should help me a great deal.When the 20H is done, I will take it over there try to do the same thing. Ah, well see Officer, it has the same size power-head as 10 horse power engines, so that makes it 10 HP.

BTW, I bought the KG4H from Chloe's grandfather.  It is wired for a kill switch, which I will use.

As for props, pull a few out your barrel and send them to me. I will pay for them and shipping. I think being able to compare several against each other will help me learn what I need. Let me know, PM or post here.

Dave, I plan on coming through March 23 or 24, mostly depending on the weather. Do you want a mid-section for Mark 25s? It has the flexible shaft for the throttle for the engine I am bringing.
OhioHydro
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby dave bernard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:17 am

No I don't need the DS housing give me a call when you are coming by. 1 914 310 7086
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby creekrunner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 am

.....I"ll be watching your progress.... fun build ....more tweaking on mine this spring

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14986

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15080
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:49 am

OhioHydro wrote: Any thoughts on the way I am going to run the cables?? Ok with the steering wheel flat on the seat?

My thoughts...  Scary as heck.  That said, please throw away your plastic pulleys and buy racing pulleys (still plastic but stronger "axle" and safer).  Move front pulleys forward to 90degrees from steering wheel.  Rope has to pull straight off the steering hub to each side or it won't spool back onto the hub properly.  If your steering rope? is not crazy high strength, non-stretch sailboat rope, toss it, too and buy steering cables.  A stock aluminum boat like that can run 40mph with a fishing KG-7 so you will be going way faster than you feel comfortable in no time with a KG-4H

Tie the engine down to the transom so it can not kick up when you back off the throttle or run through some waves.  It will also be the only friction in the steering to keep the engine straight if you let go of the wheel.

If you have a chance, just find a racer nearby and have them check out your rigging before you run it.  I could save you lots of real pain.

The 10ft Elgin boat below runs about 41mph with a KG-7...   Anticipate about the same numbers when you get the SeaNymph set up.
Picture is local JOMS member, Dave McKinney.
Attachments
Elgin KG-7 running.jpg
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby creekrunner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:38 am

believe the 12' nymph is heavier than the Elgin...and Dave is like 165 lbs.....41 mph is pushing it.....and if you're planning on running a KG4H ,
you're gonna have to notch out your transom about 3"......or you'll be making froth. I'm running a Q tower on a stock height transom.....borderline...
I'd go with a "super 10"  to keep the "officials" happy and ...........??
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby OhioHydro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Steve,
Never mind on the props, for now. Creekrunner is right; without lowering the transom I will be making froth, not speed.  May go with KE7 and/or Mark 25, but I have to have something for the reservoir!
OhioHydro
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Steve77t » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:58 pm

No problem, they are in the barrel for a bit yet
Steve77t

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby dave bernard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

get a tower to put the KG4 on and you still have both.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby OhioHydro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks, Dave. Things change. I am bringing a sailboat east in March, and the Sea Nymph gets back in the garage.  It will be easier to deploy in a variety of ways. The KE4 into which I put rings and it started on the first pull, or the KE7 with hybrid propeller (thanks, Brandon), and, you knew this was coming, a John Deere themed Sea Nymph (thanks Creek Runner) with Mercrusier single lever control.  The Mark 25 has a steering bar with throttle and shifting capability.
OhioHydro
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby rumleyfips » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Shouldn't the gas tank ring say KG4 ... 7 1/2 hp.
rumleyfips

Return to Current Projects