Potential project

Show & Tell time! Photos, comments, stories, etc

Potential project

Postby outboard315 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:13 am

Like I don't have enough projects already I have a KE4 that I have not been successful to sell. This is only the 4th or 5th one I have had in my possession, one actually ran, not this one. I am just not that interested in the KE4's but after seeing a recent thread on the aomci of a guy converting a Mark 7 with phelon coils to omc coils it sparked an interest. Another thing is I already have omc coils. The only thing that is involved in the conversion is swap coils and grind one small rib on the mag plate under the coils. So after that I'm sure it will need a water pump and some carb work, so it would be a fairly easy project, the cosmetics are ok and no lower cowls but I would be ok with a useable runner.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1509727085000.jpg
Brandon Cocola
Upstate NY
Mark 20, Mark 30H, WA25E, KG7H
14' Texas Maid, 12' Sea King, 12' Sea Nymph
outboard315

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Re: Potential project

Postby creekrunner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 am

.....they don't sell because there are so many survivors  out there......good motors....but nobody wants them .....unfortunately not a good investment unless for
personal use or satisfaction......other than that they're a suitable display motor.......been there, done there....right Chuck ?
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg...Make 'em run 1st, then deal with the  "pretty factor"....or not..
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby SteveC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:43 pm

The KE-4 represents a lot of "Firsts" for me.  It was my first "Green Tank" merc.   It was in fact just a tank/ring combination that a friend gave me.  I was intrigued by the name "Rocket" on the tag, but that was all I had.  He picked it up for a KF-5, but of course it didn't fit.  My first complete "Green Tank" motor came to me as a gift of a 1947 KE-4, that I eventually restored.  I later restored the tank and ring, and the lower cowl, but they just sat on the shelf waiting for a "some day" project.  

Fast forward to this last summer at Tomahawk, there was a large "Free" trailer that had a bunch of Mercury parts on it.  There were several KE/KD power heads in terrible condition, and a tower, lower unit and other items.  I told Kevin that we had a tank and cowl set for a KE-4 at home.  He ended up grabbing them all and piled them into a box.  This past few months, he started working on building it.  Good thing he grabbed all the parts, as he needed them, but he now has a completed power head, and scintilla ignition.  (We have some spare KD-4 parts as  well) The tower has been restored, I had a tiller, and now he needs to go through the lower unit.  It looks like it will be fine, and I had a AJ-23A carburetor in my stash of carburetors. (I need an AJ8A for our KD-4 if anyone has one)  It should be done in a few weeks, and it is pretty neat to take real scrap and make something out of it.  I know we will have more money in it than it is worth, but we are not in this hobby for the money.  This has been all his project, other than painting the tank.

Steve
2 KD-4s, 2 KE-4's, 3 KE-7's, 2 KF-7's, KG-7 rat, 3 KG-7's,2 KH-7's, 2 KF-5's, 2 Mk-5's, 4 Mk-20's, 7 Mk-25's, Mk-28.5, 3 Mk-10's , Merc. 450, 4 Merc.110's 63,68,68,69, 13 200's, Merc 60, Merc 800(71), & 1984 "D.U." 7.5
SteveC
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Genel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:58 am

KE4,great little,  motor I love mine. Have run it as a kicker motor.
Attachments
GENEMACHINE - GENEMACHINE - unnamed.jpg
DSCF0290.JPG
DSCF0290.JPG (41.15 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Genel
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby outboard315 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 am

The key to make it work would be if I found the parts to convert it to phelon for free, a song or dirt, I don't think that would be to hard since they are plentiful and not popular. Since I am not that deep into it I think I could get my money out of it if it was running. It was one of thoes deals where I wanted the steering bar off it and it was cheaper to take the motor.
Brandon Cocola
Upstate NY
Mark 20, Mark 30H, WA25E, KG7H
14' Texas Maid, 12' Sea King, 12' Sea Nymph
outboard315

Return to Current Projects