Attachments
reed3.jpg
reed2.jpg
reed1.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: " Yep, she ran good until I stored 'er away"

Postby TNT Teen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:32 am

They all get stored away for a reason!  That reed stop is more intact then mine was. How's the rest of the parts?
TNT Teen

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby 58woody » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 am

How does a reed fail like that?
Mark 6, 1956 Mark 55 & 55E, 1959 Mark 55A, 1958 Mark 58, 1960 Merc 300, 1961 Merc 500, 1961 Merc 700. Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Member of the AOMCI Upper Canada Chapter http://uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
58woody
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby EdMc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:52 am

Yup, they always ran good last time out!  

That's the time when the head gasket blew or sidecover leaked & sprayed a bunch of water in the powerhead, and she froze up!     :roll:
EdMc

Postby dave bernard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 am

loose stop bolt.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Dave is correct.

Someone had done a rebuild and may not have tightened things up sufficiently.

Pulled out all the innards to clean up a bit shrapnel but otherwise no damage so I have to assume it shut down quickly.
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby zul8tr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:34 pm

I Locktite those cage bolts that have no Nilock nuts and if there is corrosion on the reed stops especially the underside close to the bolts I replace them.  Consider the long stops on the rebuid.
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
zul8tr

Postby BJuby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Also consider plastic reeds.  I use CCMS.
KE3 KE4 KE7 KF5 KG4 KH7 Mk5 Mk7 Mk10 Mk15 Mk20(3) Mk25 Mk28 Mk55 Mk55E 350

KG4-H KG7-Q(2) KG9-Q 20H, 20H Pop(4) Mk25H 25xs 30H 400H, 55H Mod, 75H, 75AH Mod

Quincy FA-90, FB-199, FB-222, FB-232, FC-71, FC-74, FD-53, FD-86, FD-107, XF-6, XF-23
BJuby

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby mercaholic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:36 pm

I was asked if I tried to pull the motor over by hand before purchasing.

Strangely, the motor did turn enough to take compression tests so I have no idea where the pieces were lodged up inside.
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:11 pm

John "she ran good until I stored 'er away"" is the new code for  it doesnt run but I want top buck

I had one a couple weeks ago asking the price of a "running motor" he stated,  "it ran when it was stored" when I asked how long have you owned it, 6 months,  I replied oh so you ran it 6 months ago then stored it,  he replied no he bought it from a guy 6 months ago  and "the other guy  said it ran"  and he just didnt have time to deal with it, I replied how about if I bring a tank of gas a stand and a plastic tote to put water in and run it , then he got mad and said im far to difficult to deal with, I replied I only want some water from your hose I will do everything in less than 5 min, then he hung up  icon_problem.gif
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby zul8tr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm

mercaholic wrote:I was asked if I tried to pull the motor over by hand before purchasing.

Strangely, the motor did turn enough to take compression tests so I have no idea where the pieces were lodged up inside.

If pieces never left the crank case a compression test is still doable. What does the inside of the crank case look like any wood pecker dings inside there ?
I had 2 pieces of the reed cage (aluminum 25ss) break off near the side lock bolt and large enough to prevent complete seal of the forward top and bottom reeds on the lock bolt side. At top rpm (near 7200) there was no change in speed  :eek: shows that once the fuel air is moving at high rpm there is a lot of mass flow momentum and the reeds are fluttering so  icon_crazy.gif fast that they never close long enough to make a difference except at low to mid rpm, ie very fast flow pulsing.  Of course there were some issues when slowed down icon_thumbdown.gif . Took engine apart and the top broken piece of reed cage stayed in the crank case and the bottom reed cage piece blew threw the engine and nicked the piston timing edge a little, that was the only minor damage. No ss reeds were damaged in fact in all the hours of testing, racing and now lake running never broke or chipped a SS reed. The problem happened due to a loose rear locating pin. Need to check those buggers for the split case designs.

I always mic thickness and gram weigh the SS reeds for as close as practical for a matched set of 8, there are differences and balanced reed flutter has all to do with weight and thickness and some other things. Always used 0.012 reeds and the long stops in that 25ss.

I will install CCMS reeds next time I pull apart just to see the gain and no fore sure a broken reed will do no harm.
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
zul8tr

Postby Fastjeff » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm

...:At top rpm (near 7200) there was no change in speed Shows that once the fuel air is moving at high rpm there is a lot of mass flow momentum and the reeds are fluttering crazy fast....they never close long enough to make a difference except at low to mid rpm, ie very fast flow pulsing."

Now that's darn interesting!

Jeff
Words spoken in two stroke heaven: There's no fuel like an oiled fuel.
Fastjeff
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby zul8tr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Fastjeff wrote:...:At top rpm (near 7200) there was no change in speed Shows that once the fuel air is moving at high rpm there is a lot of mass flow momentum and the reeds are fluttering crazy fast....they never close long enough to make a difference except at low to mid rpm, ie very fast flow pulsing."

Now that's darn interesting!

Jeff

Yes it is,  and when I tried to start it again, after a brief rest at the beach, not realizing what really happened, you guessed it NO Start   :-( Pulled the carb and saw the missing pieces, ug!   icon_problem.gif ,  [fingerscrossed.gif]  that there was no significant damage.
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

zul8tr

Postby SteveC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 pm

I have seen two 200's that broke the aluminum reed cage.  One was my dad's original 1975, and the other was a Canadian built 1974.  Both had significant hours on them, and I figured too much play in the labyrinth seal area.  Neither one did any other damage to the rest of the motor.  I did have another one break a reed that did some damage to a piston, but not too bad.  That one spit back through the carburetor.  It was using excessive fuel, and I was nursing it back to camp from "The East End", (13 miles out from camp), almost didn't make it back.   [helpsos.gif]

Steve
2 KD-4s, 2 KE-4's, 3 KE-7's, 2 KF-7's, KG-7 rat, 3 KG-7's,2 KH-7's, 2 KF-5's, 2 Mk-5's, 4 Mk-20's, 7 Mk-25's, Mk-28.5, 3 Mk-10's , Merc. 450, 4 Merc.110's 63,68,68,69, 13 200's, Merc 60, Merc 800(71), & 1984 "D.U." 7.5
SteveC
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to Current Projects