What the heck is going on here!

Show & Tell time! Photos, comments, stories, etc

What the heck is going on here!

Postby Fastjeff » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Just spent nearly three hours putting a Mark 55 type LU on the tower.  This particular LU had been run for years on this particular tower.  Other than the regular winter maintenance, with no changes whatsoever, it should have been 5 minute job.  Making it an even simpler task was that the PH was off--just guide the water tube in and tighten her up (seven times, as it turned out).

Unfortunately, when I dropped in the shifter rod, it would not turn--binding solidly.  Humm, thought I, whatsup?

To make a long and bitter story short, there was nothing I could find that was out of the ordinary down there.  In fact, the same parts that worked fine for years were being reused.  Whatsup!  I could back the nuts off a bit, so the LU dropped about a 1/4 inch, and it would shift fine.  But as I tightened the nuts back up--a bit at a time--the binding got worse until the shifter wouldn't move. WHATSUP!

Yes, Matilda, there is a Santa Clause--I mean, a happy (but still confused) ending to this story. For some fool reason that upper brass cam wasn't rising enough in the tower, which jammed the whole works up.  (It's upward motion triggers the neutral and reverse locking, which I don't even use.  The guts are long removed.)  Again I got out the mini light and there was nothing in there to cause this sudden lack of upward mobility--no burrs, marine growth, etc.  But that was what was obviously happening, so I did the usual Fastjeff fix: I ground the top of the upper cam so it could rise further in the slots, and the fool shifter now works fine.

Why this was necessary is a total mystery to me, but I'll take it!

Merry Christmas,

Jeff (the exhausted)
Words spoken in two stroke heaven: There's no fuel like an oiled fuel.
Fastjeff
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: What the heck is going on here!

Postby zul8tr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Time for eggnog   :-)
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

How long is a country's water coast line? Depends on the length of your ruler, smaller = longer coast.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
zul8tr

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby mercaholic » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Good work Jeff.
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Fastjeff » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13 pm

I was so urinated off that I closed up the shop----for a few hours.  Went back out later to attach the PH (no problem) then I had to go a put the distributor in.  And away we go again!  

All I did was put new bearings in the unit Arie thoughtfully sent me, yet the input shaft was 1/4 inch higher were the pulley goes on.  Looked at the old one and; yup, they were different for some fool reason. Whatsup!

Drove me nuts until I applied the Fastjeff method: I used some parts from the triple George got for me, cut down a shim, and lined her up.  Done.

See what a great site me have here with such thoughtful people!  Sort of an unplanned Xmas present.

Jeff
Words spoken in two stroke heaven: There's no fuel like an oiled fuel.
Fastjeff
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to Current Projects