Mark 30 - What a hand full

Show & Tell time! Photos, comments, stories, etc

Mark 30 - What a hand full

Postby mercaholic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm

Finally got the Mk30 Tiller back in the water this week mounted on the 14 ft Mirrorrcraft tin boat.

Some may recognize it as one of the previous draw prize motors.  I had sold it to a local guy last summer but decided to buy it back after he found it too heavy to lug around and not liking the way it would snap into FWD from N while starting.

After refreshing the ignition, replace some worn seals and installing a w/pump impeller I had it out only once last summer.  It dropped two cylinders due to corrosion within the spark plug boots.  Even with two cylinders firing, it got me back on plane and to shore.

So after a decent afternoon of fairly calm Geogian Bay waters, I felt a bit worn out.  The motor hard a lot of torque steer so I had to hold the tiller arm tight the whole time.     Also, the noise from it wore me down so eventually I had to stick an ear plug in.  I even got someone's anchor rope wrapped around the LU that subsequently locked up the motor at half throttle.  I thought I blew up the engine.... :?:  but thankfully after unwrapping the line, it all came back to life... [wrench.gif]

So while it ran well and is a technical marvel for it's ability to throttle WOT then come back to super slow trolling speed for hours, I find it hard to heft up and move around so may move it to another home.

I have already ordered the two tone blue paint and new decals.  Any interest out there ?
Attachments
mk30.3.jpg
mk30.2.jpg
mk30.1.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: Mark 30 - What a hand full

Postby Acmike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 am

Hi Mercoholic

What are you looking to get for the Mk30 ?
Acmike

Postby mercaholic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:51 pm

PM'd you
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:11 am

My brother hit an anchor line at wot and it stopped him dead. It ripped the cavitation ring off the prop and they were thrown from their seats. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Peter
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Return to Current Projects